Is there mud crabs in the parra river ?

gavw

Hi raiders

Back few years ago I was fishing of a wharf near cabarita

There was a 12 year old kid pulled up a massive muddy from his line.

My question is

Is there mud crabs in the parra river?

Where do I start looking ?

And what bait do I use to put in the trap ?

Last of all are they safe to eat ?

Hi raiders

My question is

Hi 1Fish

There are mud crabs in Parramatta River but I'd advise against eating any because of the high dioxins level. You're likely to find them around areas with Mangroves.

In the past, I've caught mud crabs at other places using anything ranging from raw chicken pieces, pierced cans of tuna, pilchards in nets. In WA, my bare hands :P

Cheers

Paul

Edited by Paul

Back in the 90s i worked in silverwater and a fellow worker who live in auburn used to catch muddies 3 times a week in homebush bay and brag about them, we just laught but hes still alive today.

But seriously the water quality aint the best for any crustaceans or fish fit for the table.

mcgoo

I agree not to eat them but there are large muddys around hen and chicken bay, and up near the mangroves of majors bay

Best bet will be the hawkesbury river near the pacific hwy bridge around the drop offs or the mangroves near the sunken ship down river

I agree not to eat them but there are large muddys around hen and chicken bay, and up near the mangroves of majors bay

Best bet will be the hawkesbury river near the pacific hwy bridge around the drop offs or the mangroves near the sunken ship down river

i eat the fish caught around the gladesville bridge, but will limit it to maybe once every month or two. Anyone else?

im thinking from the rhodes bridge back might be suss,ive eaten fish from around gladesville before without no complaint as the water seems a decent quality,there are signs to say limit your intake though

Hi raiders

My question is

Not a fishing report - moved to Fishing chat

im thinking from the rhodes bridge back might be suss,ive eaten fish from around gladesville before without no complaint as the water seems a decent quality,there are signs to say limit your intake though

You will not see Dioxins in the water, nor will you notice them in the taste/ quality of the fish.

I think you will find the signs actually say not to eat anything west of the bridge and to limit your table fare to 100 grams per month of fish caught east.

Its a personal choice and I have no problem keeping kings caught around the drummoyne/ balmain area.

Be smart about what you eat. e.g. migratory fish vs residents. bottom feeders vs pelagics etc.

• 3 years later...

Have often wondered, usually while floating in a boat at night, since the Mud Crab population west of Gladesville would be pretty sizable due to low number of people targeting them, maybe they should catch them and relocate to the hawksbury to help raise the population there and add to the breeding Group, and just have a ban on crabbing for a couple of seasons.