15hp motors

squidboy

Hi, I would guess 15Kn would be the best you could expect and you will want to be careful putting such a heavy engine on a small boat. I would look at the basic, proven, simple, lightweight, cheaper, more powerful carby 15HP's. Yes a 15HP 4-Stroke will use less fuel but considering a carby engine would be lucky to burn 15L for a days boating the fuel burn is not a factor with small engines. Considering you can buy a brand new 15HP Carby from around $1,600 and some 15HP 4-Strokes go for about $3,800 I would fit a carby engine for the main engine and than an electric outboard if you realy want quiet, fuel efficient operation at low speed.

Just my thoughts and if you have not experienced a small 4-Stroke try before you buy would be my advise.

Cheers,

Huey.

Guest Aussie007

i reckon in another 20-30 years 2 strokes will be ruled out manufacturers will still be making the 3.7m tinny what than? you'd have no choice but to go a 4 stroke i say do it now join the rest of the people turning to 4 strokes

Guest Aussie007

gazza i reckon even less time than that 5 to 10 years new 2 strokes no longer will be around unless they can meet epa laws getting tighter every year ,cheers dunc333

yeah i was looking some months ago on the mercury usa web site they no longer list small 2 stroke motors i might have missed them? im looking on there now and still cant see them only 4 strokes or big 2 strokes http://www.mercurymarine.com/

Hi, considering the CLEANEST engine made today is a 2 Stroke, I would not be too worried and the simple TRUE facts are there are still carby engines made and able to be used and sold here. Even IF they outlaw dirty engines you will still be able to use them, just not buy them new.

As I mentioned yesterday mate get yourself the US made 15HP Merc if you want the best 15HP carby ever made.

Cheers,

Huey.

Guest Aussie007

Thanks Huey for the advice. The 15 was out of reach on the day and I settled for the 8HP. Good to see you on Saturday too, what a hot day it was!

theres a big difference between 8-15hp u might be disappointed once its ran in

Definitely 15hp is the go on 3.7 meters. 9.9 will only just get you planing on flat water, and if there's someone else in the boat, forget it. Not that you'll often squeeze two into a 3.7 meter boat.My engine is a 15hp 4 stroke, and uses about 5 litres of fuel per trip, each with about 1 hour of top-speed travel. Service is about $200 plus parts, once per year. There is no issue with weight vs. boat for me... maybe older models weighed more, but all 15hp are pretty light in my experience.

I have a 3.7m tinnie with that 15hp, and it works a treat in sheltered waters. On flat days with low-wind and stable conditions forecast, I'll venture a little out in broken bay... but never outside. In a tinnie that small, it's just too risky, as a single big wave

at the wrong angle will swamp the boat, and winds of over 15 knots on open water is too much. Even the lower part of Port Stephens was really too rough when it was windy.

Hi.

We got a Quinnie 3.75 Dart. with Yammie 15 2 stroke 100.1 fuel mix.

Flies with one or two on board. fairly clean running at 100.1 Cheap to buy and maintain\repair. Lighter than 4 str.

I'd buy another one tomorrow. All I do for slow trolling spinning for Barra etc. Is use my $350 electric on transom.

Better than just a motor 4str or otherwise.

and the pr together. Cost a lot less than any 4 str.

I use mine mainly Darwin Harbour and Barra dams on way up there and back. 25ltr tank. Used every day.

Can not empty in a weeks running\trolling.

These efficient 2 strokes will live for a long time yet.

I've got an Opti 90 on my Stacer Bowrider. Wouldn't have a 4 str on my boats. The twoéys are much more reliable.

cheaper to run and a little cheaper to buy.

Also look at all those moving little bits in a 4 str. Spinning at a zillion miles a second. No thank's.