Out from Tunks Sunday

saltrix

After all the bad weather my mate and I decided to give it a go out from the harbour this morning.

Tried trolling around Dobroyd without success so tried North Head with vague thoughts of going outside, but even 100 metres around the corner was too far and we beat a slow retreat back inside.

Anchored up near Dobroyd bombora marker and put out a bit of berly. Was almost going to quit because of the little reds when the trevally made a brief appearance and we picked up 5 between us in a short burst, plus a few undersized.

post-3961-087634500 1354425995_thumb.jpg

The breeze then really picked up and made it really uncomfortable even in the harbour so we gave it away except for a quick look at the wreck at the Tunks park bay entrance.

When cranking the boat back onto the trailer the winch post broke off requiring a bit of ropework to get the boat on the trailer.

On a close look it seems the bottom of the post fatigued at the weld and the whole bottom joint failed. I inspected my own boat to check it was OK. I would recommend having a close look at your winch posts to check for any signs of fatigue as I have seen this happen before. They really should have some sort of brace so that the weld does not have to take the load of the boat.