A week in Tuross Head

helliconia

Finally got a week off work and headed down to Tuross Head with the boat. Despite a couple of days of ugly weather it was a great week and I learned a lot about SP fishing for flathead.

Only caught a few keepers, but the lake and river were so full of undersized flathead you could walk across the river and not get your feet wet.

BIG thanks to Hodgey who tipped me off they were responding to prawn patterned plastics, so armed with a few bags of Gulps I had a go.

By the time thursday rolled around I'd refined my technique and was getting hit just about every cast. After the first 10 or so around the 32-33cm mark I stopped measuring them before I threw them back.

Apparently there are a few thumpers hanging around the lake but I didn't get a hook into any of them. Still had the best time and a great learning experience. I'm definitely not shy of fishing shallow water for them now.

The most entertaining part of the trip was fishing the channel near the surf beach and having some other holiday'ers asking for tips as I pulled in a couple of small flatties as soon as I walked up. Very different feeling being able to offer a bit of advise because stuff is working, rather than the other way around :yahoo:

The missus also caught her first flounder which I grilled for her but she wasn't impressed with the bones lol

The trip was only marred by some asshat stealing my fully loaded tacklebox from the boat the night before we left ($600 worth of gear gone I'm guessing), and me attempting to fillet the bottom off my finger while cleaning fish :1prop: No stitches needed though so I'm OK :)

Edited by EmptyHooks

Visited Tuross a few times many years ago, mainly fished the main channel back from the entrance a bit with live poddies and caught a few flatties, but not much above the legal size. Shore fishing from just after low tide on the run-up, so I could still wade the sand banks.

Some of the blokes told me they fished right in the entrance on the run-up at night with beach worms, and pulled out good sized whiting, around this time of year.

Wait a while and those little flatties will be legal size.

Well done mate. :thumbup: Good to see you got into a few fish and you have added to your knowledge pool. You'll be able to utilise your new techniques in lots of other places as well!

A bloody shame some twit pinched your gear though. :ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2:

Cheers

Hodgey

I am heading to Tuross this afternoon with a mate and a boat.....just a little bit excited. Have been going there since I was a tacker in the 1960s, but never really 'understood' the river, so tomorrow we are doing a charter with a local guide. Hopefully we'll learn a trick or 2.