Tuross Heads Fishing Advice

chiefsimo

Hello there

I am heading down to Tuross Heads for a week over Christmas and was wondering if anyone has any word on what has been caught, and recommend any good landbased locations?

I have fished down their 2 or 3 times but always half heartedly with borrowed equipment - this time the family is driving down, so i have my usual arsenal of rods to choose from.

Preferred species to target would be flathead, bream & tailor, from both the surf and lower estuary/lake mouth etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am also keen to understand where i could pump nippers & if anyone sells live bait in the area?

Cheers.

Hi Chief, welcome to Fishraider!

I was down at Tuross at the end of last month and there are a lot of small flathead around. I had my boat, but there are some very large sandflats around the boat ramp on the North side of Tuross Head that would produce something on the top of the rising tide I'd imagine. Lots of area to wade through there.

Around the boat hire wharves is meant to be good for bream etc as well, I'm sure you could walk the shore through that area along the channel.

Theres a caravan park as you come into Tuross on your right, with a long stretch of sand flat around it, that could also be worth a flick with the plastics.

Enjoy, it's a great little spot down there!

I fish there every Xmas land based, for two weeks, now I'm not like hodgy, he is the guru, but I have had some success over the years,

forget the area at the first caravan park on the right, it's a little tidel but also a little muddy and shallowish.

If u try hard u can do the oyster bed on the south side of the bridge of the main hwy, you can do the snags up the river which is further south up a dirt road opposite the nursery, u think its a private road but it isn't until you hit the river, further south at the steel bridge near a boat ramp on the river, the rocks near the inlet caravan park always catch luderick, or wade the boat ramp area, this is where I fish most. flatties, salmon, tailor, whiting, the odd baby pinky, and of course the appearance of a seal, dolphins, eagles emu"s or kangaroo

I love this place, if u see a guy wading the flats in an acubra hat or in a red kayak, that's me, say g'day

i have always caught some good salmon and talior of the beach in front of coila lake there is a good gutter there.

i havent been there for a while but should still produce some good fish,

also just to the left of the boat ramp there is a little rocky point,

good luck mate its a nice little place to go for a holiday.

Look up the Tuross Heads Fishing Club on Facebook for an up to date report. You can pump yabbies on the sand flats between the boat ramp and the boat sheds. Park just west of the ramp. If you have a boat there are good sand flats on the south side opposite the ramp.

Hi, I'll be there for a couple of weeks with my boat. Have done a charter in the river and have a reasonable idea. Will be mainly fishing with poddies and flicking plastics. A minn Kota is useful in the river and I don't have one, but still ok. The biggest problem is the crowds. Doesn't take too many boats to clutter the Tuross river. Let me know if you want to come out one morning. Cheers ian

Hi, I'll be there for a couple of weeks with my boat. Have done a charter in the river and have a reasonable idea. Will be mainly fishing with poddies and flicking plastics. A minn Kota is useful in the river and I don't have one, but still ok. The biggest problem is the crowds. Doesn't take too many boats to clutter the Tuross river. Let me know if you want to come out one morning. Cheers ian

If you see me in a red kayak come and say g'day, I will be on the water most days

Thanks for all tips.

Had a good couple of sessions land based - mainly wading the flats near the boat ramp.

Plenty of bream, whiting, tarwhine, flathead and luderick - sadly there were plenty of undersized ones in between the legals. Best fish was a pair of luderick in the mid- high 30's!

Couldn't find any yabbies at tuross - plenty at narooma and were a gun bait on the flats !

Had a couple of surf sessions but couldn't raise a bite off coila beach !

Tuross is a great spot!