A BIG Lizard, Big Squid and a big Jacket. 3/01/2013

col35

Went for a fish on Thursday with my 16year old son, we started at 5 am and our plan of attack was to get some live squid and try to break our kingfish virginity. We headed over to Kurnell near the groynes and flicked a few yo zuris around the weed beds we managed 5 squid in total 3 were too big for bait and 2 great bait sized squid. They say persistence pays off but after 3 hours of squiding we had enough and needed a change of pace. We baited up with one live squid and a dead and basically slow trolled the bay around the drums, mollineaux and up and down the channel, i couldn’t find any sign of kings on the sounder and also noticed there was not a great amount of bait schools either, so after doing the slow troll for maybe an hour with no luck except being smashed by small leathers we went in the channel and drifted from Molineaux point back to the third runway trying some more squid down deeper when my sons rod started to go up and down so we waited with excitement then nothing, all went still so he waited about 5 mins and still nothing so let’s inspect the squid and see what was left of it. As soon as he started to wind the rod went tight and he was on to a heavy weight which we both thought might have been a ray until the headshakes started we realized it was a flathead, she put up a good fight with a few deep runs she went 90cm nice solid fish. We got her in the boat and took some good pics as fast as we could then let her go to fight another day. My son was over the moon ill never hear the end of it as he now has caught the biggest flathead in our boat ill have to do better next time.

post-22345-023569000 1357371743_thumb.jpg

post-22345-010607300 1357371750_thumb.jpg

post-22345-037184100 1357371754_thumb.jpg

catch and release video of squid and the flathead below

Edited by crazy col

That's a nice flatty. They always put up the same act when bait fishing for them. I land fish and when we have baits out(livies and squid) and we see big movement then a whole lot of nothing, its almost always a flatty. Pretty weird fish, eat and sit. I had one out on a 40m cast. When I reeled it in, it was all slack, the fish literally swam towards the bank about 5 metres out.

Top stuff with the squid too!

Hi mate

Well done on the flatty and squid and congrats on releasing her, also remember its just as much as the skippers catch :biggrin2: lol . I know you can keep them, but two fellas pulled an 80cm+ model from Woronora on Sunday morn, i asked why they didnt let her go to which they replied......."what for". Some people, anyway well done on the catch and release

Mick