South Coast Jewies and Flatties

Dfishin

Just before the weekend of the new year conditions looked good with a rising barometer and good moon so i made the decision to head south for a few days.

I spent a few nights fishing on the Clyde river. After arriving late afternoon and collecting live bait I headed up river to a spot that has produced a few jewfish for me in the past set up and started fishing for the night.

First night produced little with only a couple of small runs and no hookups other than a ray and shovelnose.

The second day i found a few small bream and small flatties during the day. after collecting bait again I was set up in my spot for the night.

just on sunset saw the first decent fish of the trip with a 69 cm flattie taken on a prawn on light bream gear.

The next decent fish came in that night at 430am taken on live bait which was a 60cm jewie. From then on i experienced a crazy bite with 4 fish lost due to being busted off on fairly heavy gear fishing all live baits and butterflied yakkas. The only culprit in my mind was very big jewies.

I came home for 2 days i think ( lost track of the days over the holidays ) and could not stop thinking about getting busted off on jewies so headed back down for another 3 days.

First night my brother came out for the night and at about 9pm another 65cm jewfish was caught taken on a prawn on bream gear which was fun to say the least.

The next day I did some drifting along channels and edges of sand bars and oyster leases. this produced another 80 cm flathead and released and 3 average bream for the table.

Setup once again in my jewie hole and well before dark right on the top of the tide one of my livebait rods buckles over and screams off, with me fishing on my own and hooked up to what i was sure to be a decent jewie, after a few dances around the boat im ready to net the monstor and up comes the largest flathead i have caught, ( not the longest but the biggest and heaviest ). I did not get an accurate measurement or weight as i was in a hurry to get her back to her home. It went somewhere over 90 cm below 95cm. after a few pictures this fish swam away to fight another day.

Went outside and fished some reefs on the last day with little action aside from some small flatties and nannygai for the table. Outside was very quite and hard to find fish.

Dave.

post-17313-027612200 1357542854_thumb.jpg

post-17313-071608400 1357542876_thumb.jpg

post-17313-085313800 1357542940_thumb.jpg

post-17313-033067600 1357542986_thumb.jpg

post-17313-026565800 1357543052_thumb.jpg

Fair way up the river, Half way to nelligan maybe. You land based or boat? There are a few national park grounds accessible up around the area for land based.

There are many places on that river to target jewies thouhgh. A big one was caught off the breakwall recently and at times there have been good ones caught around the bridge.

And even up as far as nelligan can produce jewies.

Edited by Dfishin

Fair way up the river, Half way to nelligan maybe. You land based or boat? There are a few national park grounds accessible up around the area for land based.

There are many places on that river to target jewies thouhgh. A big one was caught off the breakwall recently and at times there have been good ones caught around the bridge.

And even up as far as nelligan can produce jewies.

Mainly land based, but my mates got his boat up and running again. So getting a bit more time out on that.

wow, the water is almost tastes fresh up by the campsite there. (I found that out knee boarding..... or face planting trying to knee board)

I'll have a look at some maps. cheers for that.

And congrats again.

Congrats Dave,

That's a pretty action packed week! We're you using poddies, yak las or live prawns? And how are the shoulders on the flatty?? Monster!

Live yakkas mate. I have always thought if i could get some poddies they would be a better bait down there. On the last day i was there i found heaps of poddies in the marina so i will try them next time.

Heaps of yakkas around the bridge although they are hard to catch unless its on the top of the tide. Which is when you wanna be fishing for big fish.

No live prawns BUT both jews had only prawns in there stomach. I did have very fresh prawns though ( good enough to eat )

yeh honestly i have not seen a flatty that thick.

Edited by Dfishin