BOAT RAMPS

Fab1

Hi Raiders,

Comming back to the ramp at grays point i had beached my boat 4th boat down from the ramp and gone to get my trailer while my son stayed with my boat.There were no car/trailers on the ramp so i then backed her in and went over to get my boat and pushed it out and over to my trailer by the bow line around and over the other boats(I told them what i was going to do and thay said go for it),as i was winching my boat on one of the blokes and his mate accused me of pushing in, by this stage there was no car/trailer in sight the whole time....anyway i told them very politely that he needs a trailer to load his boat unless he want,s to carry his boat to the carpark to load it.They got all huffy and told me that their trailer was on it,s way.I told them it isn,t here now is it and left it at that.Anyway who has right of way the first boat in or the first car down the ramp as it,s common sense that your not going anywhere with out a SITTING ON THAT RAMP waiting to be used whether you are LAUNCHING OR RETRIEVING to me.What are your thoughts guys?What do you guys do upon retrieval?

Thanks Fabian.

Without thinking about it too deeply. I reckon that if you have your car & trailer in position at the top of the ramp then the bit of ramp aligning with your trailer is yours. So if you back your trailer down to the water it is fairly logical that you should bring your boat up and put it on the trailer. Dont know what your new friend at the boat ramp was thinking :1prop:

Cheers Blood Knot

Mate,

Definitely first trailer there first out, is a no brainer and common sense as far as to keep the ramp in use and efficient. At times there you can be waiting an hour to get your boat out with others queueing up to put boats in etc and you may have to park a near 20 minute walk away up the hill. You can't expect a bloke that has parked near and has his trailer in queue to wait for someone who has had to park a mile away even though they arrived back at the ramp a few minutes or so earlier. Even if ramp is quiet it makes sense to apply the same common sense approach me thinks.

First trailer first served its simple.

Having said that i wouldnt use Grays Pt ramp on a weekend if you paid me. It seems to attract a lot of mugs.

Dave

No where else realy to go though. Dolans bay can be a half hour walk up a hill they should just build a big ramp at gymea more people are going to the hacking its gettin worste every year more jetskiers and boats with tubes

Hi Fabian, it's logical that if you have a trailer on the ramp then you pull your boat out first. Imagine if you had to wait for every dropkick that went to get his trailer and decided to have a chat, go to the toilet etc. You want to try apple tree bay ramp when the idiots pull up with their trailer sailers 2 abreast at the top of the ramp and then decide to get them ready to launch.

Regards Jeff

Guest Aussie007

i had a problem a couple of weeks ago boating solo at the port botany ramp i waited my turn to put my boat in used one of the two middle lanes pushed my boat off no one was using the far left ramp so i pushed my boat over there than a lady comes walking half way down the wharf yelling how is she meant to get her boat out mind u i had already waited my turn than reversed my trailer down and unloaded before they had there car there :wacko: she went off her head i just walked off to park my car came back and they were just loading there boat onto there trailer

i waited 15-20mins in the loading bay for my turn they looked like new boaters packed for a couple months camping in a 12 foot tinny :1yikes:

First trailer first served its simple.

Dave

Agree. As DR said , it's a no brainer especially if the first boat in has their car parked a long distance away.

We normally arrive early when there are still places in the car park. I don't need to worry about que jumpimg along the beach as I drive the boat on .

Drop my friend at the pontoon , he collects the car , when we are next in the trailer que , reverses down , Trailer is in & out of the water in 1-2 minuites.

Geoff

Agree. As DR said , it's a no brainer especially if the first boat in has their car parked a long distance away.

We normally arrive early when there are still places in the car park. I don't need to worry about que jumpimg along the beach as I drive the boat on .

Drop my friend at the pontoon , he collects the car , when we are next in the trailer que , reverses down , Trailer is in & out of the water in 1-2 minuites.

Geoff

If theres say 10 boats beached beside the ramp doesn,t mean that their trailers are comming down the ramp in order,as they could be parked anywhere from say 20 meters away to 1k up the road and as others have said they may be stuffing around,talking,going to the dunny,etc,etc.I watch and wait my turn patiently but when it,s my turn(i always ask other boaters first what my intensions are) i don,t stuff around, i load my boat and get well away from the ramp to finish tying down and get out of there.To me this is not pushing in it,s being organised and efficient.

During the summer at yowie bay boat ramp there is always a long line of trailers lined up to get their boats out of the water or to drop ones in. You just line up and wait your turn. Simple as that. I like to think that most people use common courtesy at the boat ramp.