Sunscreen

hellcorner

Hi everyone, just wondering what kind/brand of sunscreen you all use. i know a few anglers refuse to use it,because they believe it puts fish off. just thought this would be an interesting topic. i look for a sunscreen that i only need to apply every 3-4 hours, wear a hat,and a long sleeve shirt, and of coarse the trusty spotters.

Guest Aussie007

Hi everyone, just wondering what kind/brand of sunscreen you all use. i know a few anglers refuse to use it,because they believe it puts fish off. just thought this would be an interesting topic. i look for a sunscreen that i only need to apply every 3-4 hours, wear a hat,and a long sleeve shirt, and of coarse the trusty spotters.

im one of those guys as i dont stay out long fishing solo but the other day i tried some coconut loation and we actually caught more fish using it than not using it and the amount of fish were considerbly more!

Maybe that's why I caught nothing when we hired thay last boat.

People say the same thing about bug spray. I drench my self with repellant when I need it and it hasn't hindered fishing.

Test it one day when you're catching. Next bait put a some on your hands and touch your bait.

I usually forego the sunscreen with a buff. It's a great UV protectant for the face, lips, ears and neck which also helps keep you warm if it's cold or you have wind blowing in your face and surprisingly still allows you to breathe very easily. Between that, the rashie, hat and polarized sunnies, I no longer have to deal with the mess of putting sunscreen on or forking out any extra cash.

Prior to that I used Banana Boat :banana:

Even with hat, shirt, sunnies, etc, the bloody sun can still get through. The worst is lightly choppy water, as the sun reflects off the top of every wave, so you might get 10 or 20 blasts of sun from the top of the combined waves rather than 1 blast from a dead flat surface.

If you use sunscreen, wash your hands several times with wet sand, rinse in water and dry thoroughly with a towel. If you are still worried about sunscreen smell on your fingers, mash up a pilchard, rub the oily flesh over your hands and rinse off. That should get rid of the sunscreen smell, but you will smell of fish instead! :banana:

I dont use sunscreen and Im off to the Doc's to get the melanomas' cut off my back, cos Im really smart and take my shirt off all the time....Ill be using it from now on and bugger the consequences

Good luck at the doc mate

Edited by tasksta

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it matters to the fish as much as the fisherman. I remember reading where the old timers used to successfully scent their baits with kero!

Best to use any 50+ sunscreen as well as well as wearing all the protective clothing as practicable. If your fussed, just wash your hands well after applying and before fishing.

Cheers,

Nursie

• 1 year later...

Hey raiders,

Banana boat now make a 50+ sunscreen and I use on the boat regularly. I in fact used it yesterday and still caught a feed ( and many throw backs). My fellow raider used his own sunscreen, don't know what it was, and he went home fishless! Had nothin to do with the sunscreen though, ay mate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use That Banana boat 50+. I have not found that it makes any difference in my catch. Like Richie was saying - put it on and wash it off your hands before heading out. I would rather loose a couple of fish, than developing melanoma. I work in the health industry (medical), and I've seen what it can lead to....if you had seen what I have seen....you would bath in the stuff!!! :1yikes:

Not at all wish2fish! I honestly don't know what I used, because I have banana boat and a cancer Council sunscreen in the fishing bag.

I was fishing at the entrance today, applied sunscreen, and caught bream and flathead. Most were undersize, but got some legals, which were released.

Anyway, if only that flathead didn't miss the soft plastic yesterday, if only!