Bloody little leatheries

fritz

Had a fish from 2 of my favourite spots a couple of ks apart on the north side of the harbour on Sunday morning near Mosman both were hopeless due to a plague of those little striped leatheries . First time it was a problem this year . Are they everywhere at the moment or was I just unlucky?

yep really bad at west head, balmoral, and near spit bridge. loads of mados and sweep too. makes it really hard to get any yellow tail.

I found that the yellow tail were only available in the dark (dawn or dusk) and during daylight, no bait will survive. even after dark I had to ghost-cotton my pillie pieces onto the little hook, and cast and retrieve the pillie on the surface to avoid the leatherjackets stealing everything.

Yeah - I have noticed they are EVERYWHERE at the moment also - I was out in Botany bay 2 weekends ago - we caught about 13 of them within half an hour using a bait rig for yellow tail - also around Clifton there were HEAPS of them. Saw someone burley with raw chicken breast and there would have been 30+ come out of nowhere to demolish it.