Port Hacking

Yowie

No photos taken, not really worth it.

Tried Lilli Pilli early for 1 red gurnard, released, 1 blue swimmer, and small bait stealing reddies.

Before sunrise a few fish splashed near the boat, but by the time I picked up the rod with the lure, they were gone. Possibly small kings. Terrorised the bait fish later on, but too far from the boat.

Pumped some nippers and drifted for a couple of small whiting, 2 just legal, and one blackfish about 30cm.

Saw a few garfish jumping about, so anchored over the weeds near South West Arm. Pulled out 6 in over an hour, lost about twice as many as they were not staying hooked. Around the 27 to 29cm mark (measured from the top jaw to the tail, not including the bottom beak) Ate the fillets tonight, pan fried and quite tasty, not big fillets but good eating for those who like them.

And that was it.

No photos taken, not really worth it.

Tried Lilli Pilli early for 1 red gurnard, released, 1 blue swimmer, and small bait stealing reddies.

Before sunrise a few fish splashed near the boat, but by the time I picked up the rod with the lure, they were gone. Possibly small kings. Terrorised the bait fish later on, but too far from the boat.

Pumped some nippers and drifted for a couple of small whiting, 2 just legal, and one blackfish about 30cm.

Saw a few garfish jumping about, so anchored over the weeds near South West Arm. Pulled out 6 in over an hour, lost about twice as many as they were not staying hooked. Around the 27 to 29cm mark (measured from the top jaw to the tail, not including the bottom beak) Ate the fillets tonight, pan fried and quite tasty, not big fillets but good eating for those who like them.

And that was it.

Hi Yowie,

At least you got out and managed a feed,i like pan fried garfish also....ll be heading out to grays in the morning with the family to try my luck.

mate keep the reports coming, good or bad.... at the moment with the lack of fishing on my behalf im doing my fishing through you!!! :D:D :D

Have to put in a bit of effort at present to catch a few. Probably some kingies about in the deeper areas such as Gymea Bay. The garfish should also have a few kingies chasing them.

The whiting and bream have been a bit quiet for the last few months, though with the lack of rain, they may have moved further up river.

A good way to prepare garfish Is to butterfly them. Then give them a good roll with rolling pin. Give them a good coating of flower and fry in a bit of olive oil. The rolling breaks the bones and just eat them very small. Very tasty

My grandfather used to eat them that way.

The wife and (big) kids do not like fish bones, so I remove them to stop any complaints. :mad3: I know the bones crush up, however, they don't like them. As for me, I can pick them out.

Your right about the bream & whiting being quiet. I'm only landbased but all the spots that were producing nice fish, same time last year. Middle harbour, north habour & all around botany bay are doing nothing for me at the moment. Live worms are hard to get lately, not that the live ones were catching any, so have been trying dried ones to no avail. Just 2 keeper bream & 1 decent whiting in the last 5 outings, but i'll keep tring. Keep the reports coming as it's always good hear others are getting some.