Where to get Ski hooks installed for towing tubes

pdelux

Hi Raiders,

I am sort of new to boating. I have a Savage 450 Safari (Aluminium) (2003 i think) with 50 HP outboard. I know its pretty weak for towing, but I dont intend to break any speed records

I was thinking of getting hooks installed on transom to tow a tube with 1 adult or 2 kids. I wouldnt be trying to go fast just - just have some mild fun.

I am not keen to do it myself, and would prefer a professional or dealership to do it. Safety is my main concern. I heard you would also need some backing plate material to reinforce transom for safety.

Has anyone had these done? if so where and what is approximate cost?

I live in Sydney.

Any help is appreciated.

pdlux,

I know that this is not going to be much help, but I know it can be done. I used to have a Quinny Cruiseabout that we used to ski behind using 2 hooks & a bridle.

The hooks are available through the prominent Chandlery retailers.

I did speak briefly to Craig (Huey) about doing this on my current boat, but didnt press for details, so Craig might be able to help you out there.

Good luck

What part of Sydney do you live ?

Is this the type of hook your planning to fit ?

attachicon.gifski hook.jpg

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your reply.

Thats the one I was thinking of - I would imagine installing 2 on left and right sides of transom and connecting with rope such as the one pictured (Airhead Self-Centering Tow Harness (2 Riders 12ft Yellow/Black)), however if you have a better suggestion I am happy to hear it.

51XpHDofnpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I live in Fairfield (south west Sydney) but I get my boat serviced up at Cowan (huetts) so i dont mind travelling.

pdlux, I know that this is not going to be much help, but I know it can be done. I used to have a Quinny Cruiseabout that we used to ski behind using 2 hooks & a bridle. The hooks are available through the prominent Chandlery retailers. I did speak briefly to Craig (Huey) about doing this on my current boat, but didnt press for details, so Craig might be able to help you out there. Good luck

Thanks Try Hard,

I might do that

the holes you drill will need to go through a brace or gusset hear lays the problem

1;;drilling through a brace will create a weak point and over time it will crack

2;;if you do'nt drill through a brace you need a backing plate around 100x100 10mm plactic and a stainless washer around 50mm

towing tubes and skiers creates mass stresses to the tow points keep the holes as close to an area were stress will be dispersed over a wide are

i know this sounds confusing maybe post a pic up off your transom and also the inside were are you based..i hate drilling holes in boats espealy uther peoples but i'm happy to advise on the best place in your boat cheers gary 0438264377

Hi Brickman,

Thanks for your reply, I'll try to get some pictures of the transom and inside. The transom plate at the back feel very thin/hollow when i tap against it so I am a little worried that it would not handle the stress but that could be my marine paranoia.