Need help with squid fishing tactic

sbf1

Hi Guys,

I am desperate to get a decent king or jew in Sydney Harbour and cant master the most important parts - catching live squid!

I am tryed many times in and around Manly cove, Balmoral etc with no luck.

I have tryed casting the lures and retreiving, drifting and jigging lure all with no luck. I have tryed all tyres and size lures.

Who can point me in the right direction? It would be very much appriciated.

I by no means call myself a squidding expert, far from it in fact.

But what i can say is that the expensive squid jigs actually work. I used to struggle with the el cheapo versions, but now with decent jogs its slightly easier to find some squid. Thats about all the wisdom i can share with you, im sure others will be more helpful.

Cheers, Baz.

Find the kelp and persist, find the squid. And my little secret is to bathe those jigs in egi max. But don't tell anyone!

Eventhough I have caught squid on all sorts of jigs, I think that Djbazzab is right - the more expensiove the jig the better it works.

SBF1,

No expert but these are my tips

Tips

• Hit em before sunrise - they are way more active in the dark
  • Slow - if you think you are retrieving at the right speed - cut it in half. If you arent getting caught up every so often you aint in the zone
  • Find kelp and you will find squid.
  • Keep moving till you find them - where you find one you will most times find a few.

Johno

Weight wise I would say is dependent on the depth of the water you are fishing. 1.8-2.2gms for anything under 3-4 metres of water. You want to keep the jig close to the kelp without actually snagging it. The more depth the more weight.

I have a theory of matching the hatch. Smaller jigs early in spring and bigger jigs later on as the prawns in the estauries grow. (could be horribly wrong however)

Read reports from "dhype." This guy catches them regularly and in good numbers with lots of pointers. I dare say he could catch them blind folded in a bath tub.

Read reports from "dhype." This guy catches them regularly and in good numbers with lots of pointers. I dare say he could catch them blind folded in a bath tub.

Yeah that's species is called the mushroom headed calamari, it may squirt ink too!

Tight lines,

Shakeel

I do quite abit of Squidding through out the harbour and my best sessions are at first light.

If ur from a tinny find some weed beds and drop 1 large jig and 1 small jig in different colours out the back of the boat half way to the bottom. Then cast a third jig.

I start using all completely different jigs but if one is standing out as the best jig on the day switch the others to close to it.

It can be very exciting if u drift over the top of a big hungery school.

Good luck.

How much time have you spent squidding? I'm not great but I do ok at times. My biggest bit of advice is spend time fishing for squid and nothing else.

Forget about the Jew or king and just squid for a a week or so.

I spent every night for 2 weeks of lonely nights squidding different locations. I learn so much from this...such as

How different twitch techniques can induce bites.

How to impart a tantalising prawn like action to my jig.

Seeing how squid actually attack the jig.

How different weights work ie drop time and action

Which jig colours work better.

The biggest bonus was I found various squid locations and from that I understood what variables they like.

So get out there.

The 3 things may help locating them are

kelp/seaweed

sand

Clean water

Another point jbf1,

Dont forget about squiding inside the harbor as well. If you are hunting bait size which by the sounds of your report you are then most rocky outcrops inside Middle Harbour hold tones of the Hawksbury river squid. All the above points are valid. Good jig, dusk and dawn, get it down to the weed ect

I have found with the help of some of my Japaneses egi guru work mates that at times you will catch a lot more by working the jig activley. As like all forms of fishing you must experiment as all days are different. Someday a almost dead still retrieve will be all they are interested in. Just mix it up with style and depth till u find them.

PS if you get one get the jig straight back out on the same line, there is usually multiple in the same spot.

PS those cheaper jigs are awesome for finding your range they do serve a purpose.

If you would like to know some exact spots I have been doing ok at then PM me and i will link you up.

I also have a friend that writes a good Sydney squid fishing blog let me know if you would like the link.

Cheers Paco

Mate, grab yourself a couple of the yamashita golden bait jis in the 1.8 and 2.2 and in the natural colours. The R egi suite yamas series are also very good. I have also started using the new Shimano sephia egixile range in the 10g. They are slightly larger than the ones I just mentioned but these jigs catch all sizes and are by far the best I have used. Good luck. Like the guys said, find the kelp and sandy patches and you will eventually find them.