Whiting on Surface Lures - best lures & techniques.

Kooks

This is a follow up of my post about catching my first whiting on surface lures.

I'm currently using a Bassday Sugarpen 70mm. See pic.

post-12654-0-44865700-1359367409_thumb.jpg

I'm keen to get everyone's opinions on various questions to shed some light on this Whiting craze.

Walk the Dog vs Poppers? - What is better.

Favourite Lure? (brand/size/colour) - Add a pic would be great.

Best technique/tips to get whiting to strike? I've had problems with follows but not strikes.

Fast vs slow retrieve?

cheers

Kooks

The Sugapens are great! Along with Lucky Craft Sammy's and Strada Virals these are my 3 top surface lures for whiting. The Strada virals are pretty much a cheaper identical twin of the sugapens... Catch just as many fish though!

So I'd say my favourite is a Strada Viral.

I personally find that if they're following it and not taking it, you need to excite them a little. This can mean retrieving a little quicker or giving your lure more and faster action. If all this fails its either not your day or you could try small clear poppers or even plastics.

Fast retrieve is better on the whiting and slower with the odd pause for bream. Mix it up as things change from day to day. Some days the whiting will hit it when your working it a million miles an hour, and some when its hardly moving!

Definitely is a brilliant way to get a feed of whiting!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Mulloway man,

Those Lucky Craft Sammy's look great and the Virals really do look identical to the Sugarpens.

I've also seen that you can replace the treble at the end of the lure with some stinger/assist hooks. So the fish don't need to get as close before they strike. There is a video but I can't find it.

Bushy's stiffy popper 55mm in FRV colour.

I'll out pop anyone on whiting most times with one of these.

The colour makes all the difference in getting hits.

The technique is a constant blooping retrieve. Keep it going

at all times. If you pause the fish will lose interest.

I fished side by side with Outdoordan recently, both using

stiffy poppers.

He didn't get a hit on a great looking colour while I got around 10.

As soon as he tied on the FRV he got fish.

Note. These work best with a bit of chop on the water.

The sammy's & suger pens are great when it's glassed out

but as soon as the wind is up go the popper.

Remember that whiting hit surface lures because they think

it is a fleeing prawn. Imitate that & you will catch fish.

It's great fun & a style well worth mastering.

Cheers,

Grant.

Stiffy popper in FRV when theres some chop

Sammy or Jaz zappa in clear with a little red on the front when there is a little bit of ruffle on the water

Ive recently bought a couple of Virals(thanks Roberta)and have found the trebles and rings to be way too big for whiting and bream on the 70mm one so Ive changed them to the same size as on the 50mm viral much much better for hookups

• 7 months later...

Hey guys,

I wanted to get some whiting on a walk-the-dog lure, so got myself a SugarPen 90m floating, but I'm starting to think I might have chosen a too big one.

I was afraid the 70 would be too light for fishing the surf (big waves in Dee Why). But thinking again, maybe the 70 would have been enough.

What do you guys think? Should I take the 90mm back and take the 70 instead?

I'm trying to get some on surface too. I decided yo try my big stickbait this morning without success. But is it me or the stick or the fish were elsewhere?

I think I need to try bringing live worms and start fishing with them, then if I get hookups switch to lures. At least I will be sure there are fish in the area.

For narrabeen I heard its good in front of the camping site near the beach.

http://www.facebook.com/gonefishinginoz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free