Elite 5 dsi reviews ?

pony181

Hello all

im looking at purchasing a new sounder and have been looking at the elite 5 dsi

or the hds 5.

whats the general consensus on these units.

i mainly fish the harbour and along the heads,

any sort of info would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Edited by pony181

For the area your fishing I would be leaning towards the DSI which includes Down Scan as a standard feature .

The HDS is approx $100 more expensive & whilst it has newer technology & is more powerfull I think the Structure scan is an optional extra costing more $$$$$.

Also , I seem to recall a comment in a previous post that fish images are better on one unit than the other but cannot remember which one.

Perhaps points worth checking with the retailer.

Geoff

I've just had a look around the web , am I correct in saying the Structure Scan option is an additional $600 - $650 ??

If so the HDS 5 with SS cost around $1400 where as the DSI 5 with Down Scan , which may not be quite as advanced , is half the price at a realistic $700.

Pony181 , for the area your fishing the HDS with SS is rather difficult to justify.

Geoff

cheers for the reply's

i have also sourced a elite5 dsi for $370

structure scan does sounds good but for that much of a added cost, im not sure if its worth while.

at that price it seems to be the better option.

The one thing im worried about is i have have heard a few people say that with the dsi its very hard to see bait and fish.

im mainly targeting kings so structure is a major part but bait also.

The technology just isn't quite there yet! I've been talked out of it by a low&@$(e rep and he said wait about a year or so!!! They are pretty much useless when stationary as the bounce off their own sonar which renders them useless! This is what I've been told.

Good luck deciding..... Cheers scratchie!!!

The technology just isn't quite there yet! I've been talked out of it by a low&@$(e rep and he said wait about a year or so!!! They are pretty much useless when stationary as the bounce off their own sonar which renders them useless! This is what I've been told. Good luck deciding..... Cheers scratchie!!!

That's right, you gotta be moving over the fish and it takes a scan pretty much like a photocopy machine. If you are anchored you are not seeing much in front of behind. Where as HDS is a real sounder , It has a cone shape projection to the bottom so you can see more under your boat and with HDS you can see deeper. My mate has a DSI and it struggles when it is more than 25 metres deep. He now has both a DSI and HDS on his boat.

DSI has better structure pictures , HDS detects fish better but not so clear on structures , it has better depth range ie 200 metres and cone shape projection.

I reckon you firstly need a real sounder HDS then supplement it with DSI which is structure scan. DSI alone can be abit limiting.

Edited by Formosan

HI, I agree with the above the HDS-5 is a FAR superior unit to the Elite and if you want SI and DI, just add the structure scan kit when the money is there.

I only stock the HDS-5 out of these two if that says something. Do yoursefl a favour too and check out the Raymarine A67 combo, it is better again and comes with an OZ wide chart in the price and a little birdie has told me they will most likely have DI/SI sooner than latter.

Cheers,

Huey.