When does a used boat get too old?

brighton le sands

Hey guys, ive been shopping around for boats with a budget around 12 grand. specification wise i found the perfect boat for the bay, a

stacer 455 seahorse with a 50 hp yamaha motor (electric start and power trim) but then theres one problem... its 7 years old. my dad is

worried that the boat will depreciate significantly once it becomes more then 10 years old and that it will have to many issues that end up

costing alot of money to repair. any help or experience with this topic is well appreciated.

Thanks guys

Billy

Its an aluminium boat - most damage or wear and tare should be reasonably obvious at purchase ( unlike some fiberglass boats that can hide their issues ). Would have no worries about a 2005 model aluminum boat, should be good for another 20 years at least, if correctly maintained. Would be more concerned with the operation and service history of the motor than the boat itself.

Cheers Blood Knot

Guest hawkesbass

I bought my my boat a year ago the hull is a 2000 built hull with no issues at all. With all things mechanical with regular maintenance their should be no issues. Good luck with your search for a boat

I think your Dad is comparing boats to motor cars. Provided the boat , in particular the motor & trailer are looked after there is no comparrison between the two.

Aluminium boats are virtually indestructible.

To give you 2 examples , I purchased a 1966 4.5mt Quintrex in the early 80's , kept it for 10 years & sold it for more than I origionally paid. It was 37 years old

My current boat is 9 years old & it's second hand value is similar to what I paid in 2003.

As Blood Knot said , basically it's the motor you need to focus on. If it has been flushed after each outing & serviced (the seller should have records) then it will run trouble free for many , many years.

Geoff

Guest Aussie007

my mate owns a stacer 445 seahawk 2004 with a mercury 40hp 2004 these boats are that tough if u went for a ride with my mate on a average day u would rather swim back! he pounds the swell and chop like theres no tomorrow and he has never had a problem with the boat no cracks,cave in's,nothings bent perfect boat and its a awesome riding hull very wide and fits 5 people easy with high sides

boats are not like cars u buy a $44,000 commodore and 5 years later is worth $12,000 boats hold value i have a quintrex from 1970 that is still valued around $3000 with a old engine