2 x Black Marlin in one Small Boat

Drew01

G’day Raiders

As this is my first post on the site I wanted to pop the cherry on something special, so here goes.....

Friday morning I had one of my mates meet me at my place at 4am for the 1 hour journey to the boat ramp near Wollongong

The excitement was building right from the start of the drive down as we knew the weather finally had turned off the nasty switch and was beginning to behave itself. :clapping:

The excitement almost turned to dramas as when we were about halfway down the pass a small wallaby came darting out of the bush and straight into the side of the boat, quick check on the rig at the bottom of the pass (thankfully all was ok) and continued to the ramp.

We left the harbour at around 5:30am with a water temp of around 21.5*C and after a quick stop around the Islands for a few bonito on the troll and looking for the early morning king (no luck on that front) we decided to head to the wave reader about 9kms out.

With the water temp gradually climbing as we headed out wider thoughts turned to Dollies, but once we arrived at the wave reader and chucked a few lures around it was evident that it would only be small Dollies and Rat Kings if we remained there (still fun on light gear none the less) as they were in plague proportions

The decision was made to set a spread and troll to the Wollongong FAD in the hope of a big Dolly hanging out from the wave reader/FAD....... No luck

As we pulled past the FAD with no hits we looked at the conditions and agreed it would be rude not to turn to the East and continue on to the horizon.

Time lapsed and the water got deeper (1000ft), the Lowrance sounder was reading 23.5*C then BANG the 8-15kg rod with 50pound braid and 130pound leader begin to scream.

My mate grabbed the rod and held on whilst I go the other line in out of the way, anticipation grew as we still did not know what we had hooked but not long in to the fight confirmation was given with a spectacular jump clean out of the water by a 60kg (approx.) black marlin :yahoo:

25 minute later we had it boat side and as this was my mates first ever marlin and his biggest fish he chose to boat it, which turned good as I don’t think it would of released well....

After all the excitement, high fives and a beer to celebrate we set off again.

We were kicking along at around 10knots water temp increasing to around 24.6*C when we noticed a huge pod of dolphins in the distance turning in their direction and as we approached the pod, BANG were on again an within an hour after boating the last one!!!

This time I was up, another 60kg (approx.) black marlin which with all the jumps at the start I thought it had thrown the hooks on more than one occasion but they held tight

We had the second one boat side around 20 minutes later and in top condition so when we released it swam of strong.

We continued to troll around for a bit until we hit 25.9*C and then noticed the fuel was getting down to the ½ way point so we turn around and headed back towards land

What more can I say..... It was a brilliant day from start to finish

Also put together a bit of a movie from the clips of the GoPro and my mates phone (not the best footage but it came up alright) hope you enjoy......

(If it does not fire up let me know and ill post it up in a different format)

post-18011-0-65199200-1361248278_thumb.png

Edited by Drew01

Great effort good size fish heaps of fun but I'm with Mr Ed boys if ur going that wide get some heavier gear minimum 24kg u will kick yourself when a 150kg plus blue hits you... Won't go close to stopping it on that gear just watch it spool u!! I've been there before... Heartbreaking...

100% agree on the 24kg gear

I had the Tcurve 15-24kg rod with the Tyrnos30 running 80pound and 200leader but they jumped on my mate’s cheaper rod/reel - Typical lol (but lots of fun for that size)

Thanks Everyone

Much appreciate all the positive feedback, have a week’s holidays coming up down at JB on the south coast and hoping to get some more action on the Kingfish and Marlin

Looking forward to getting some more post up soon

Cheers