Port Stephens 19/2/2013

noelguyau

Went to Port Stephens on Tuesday with a mate with high hopes, had a look around the marina in ore of all the massive Game Boats, then headed to the boat ramp.

On the water by 7am and headed to collect some livies. Tank full we headed out to the FAD. The weather and water conditions were spectacular, best ive seen in a long time. Heaps of small dollies there so didnt waste to much time playing with them.

Headed North and zig zaged between 70-80 fathoms heading up to seal rocks. Mainly trolled the vast erray of current lines until we found a patch of water 24.8 deg, this is where we got our first strike, peeled of 150m of line before throwing the hooks. Trolled around this are for a while in hope of raising another fish.

Wasnt to be so we came back into the 100m line just south of seal rocks. Once there we started to troll south again heading back towards the FAD. We came across a massive pod of Dolphins and birds working and as we got close zzzzzzzzzz off she goes again, shotgun goes off but fails to hook up once again.

Feeling a tad frustrated by this stage we trolled the area for a while with negative results. We got back to the FAD and decided to call it a day, as we got closer to the heads I said to my mate we would leave the lures out till we got right to the heads.

In 55m of water the left rigger goes off and we hook up- could not believe it- trolled 75km to hook up less than a mile from the heads. The fish took off and peeled a heap of line- a fish of about 50-60kg. After a short fight the hooks were spat and we were left dejected. All up a fun day and hope for when we head out again in the next couple of weeks.

Noel.

post-16386-0-51813100-1361399992_thumb.jpg

post-16386-0-20426800-1361400002_thumb.jpg

I was out Tuesday as well with wahoo76. We opted to do some bottom bashing for a couple of good snapper. But after being out there in those conditions we thought we should have set up for trolling! Oh well, was still a great day on the water.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Unlucky Noel but at least you heard your reel go off a couple times. Scratchie and myself would have killed to hear that sound. We trolled lures for 130klms for zeros.

Scratchie, sounds like we needed to head a little further north to find that warmer water of 24 and up. We were probably a couple klms from it.

Edited by wahoo76

Unlucky Noel but at least you heard your reel go off a couple times. Scratchie and myself would have killed to hear that sound. We trolled lures for 130klms for zeros.

Scratchie, sounds like we needed to head a little further north to find that warmer water of 24 and up. We were probably a couple klms from it.

Yeah I agree, so that means your going to have to come back up in a couple of weeks and try again. I'll come with you of course!!

We will get em next time!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Sounds like lady luck was not favouring you the other day.

Did you see the article in bluewater sportsfishing mag about high speed trolling? They troll the skirts whilst they plane out to the ground with a very high success rate due to the fish having to hit the lure hard to catch it. Also allows you to cover more ground through-out the day :) Well worth the read...if anyone want to know more PM me and ill give you the article.

Cheers,

Josh