Trophy flathead

hookerbruce

Hi

Fished the Nowra Sportfishing Comp with my family (15/16 feb) have just uploaded photos to my computer.

Started fishing in the river down near mouth of Crookhaven Riv, caught half a dozen duskies to about 60cm in an hour then headed outside.

Checked out Seven mile beach but the usual schools of salmon etc just weren't visible so loaded up with slimies and headed for the banks. Conditions were perfect you could see the schools of rat kings cruising on the surface. Caught and released rat kings then slow trolled slimies for marlin. We get bored with trolling so after 40 mins no sign of marlin and no action seen gave up and had a bottom fish on the insde of the banks. this produced couple of mowies and large coloured reef jackets plus heaps of throw back wrass etc.

Decided to head back into the riv to chase duskies. Travelled most of the way back in and near Nowra Hill reef saw a marlin chasing bait fish on the surface in 30 met of water so out went the live slimies and slow trolled a figure 8 for about 40 min and saw the marlin 2 more times but no interest in our bait.

As we entered the river a quick cast near baitfish produced a frigite for bait. Went and caught more duskies/bream and some 40cm mullet. Lost a flatie about 3kg (seen) on a rock under the boat.

Next day more of the same duskies/bream/mullet but went and fished for sand flaties out front of surf club insstead of banks. Had to deploy the sea anchor to slow the drift as SE started to blow. Kept 20 sand flathead in hr & half then back in the river. tried 4 or 5 spots all produced plenty of flaties but no big fish. As we had the sand flaties released the duskies.

Sunday was a good chance for all the families to go out in the boats, found a suitable sandflat and had a pleasant morning.

My 2 sons and I did no good in the comp. But over the weekend my grandson caught numerous flathead and bream he weighed some in for the comp for the subjunior section (under 10 ) and managed to win a trophy and prize, as well as getting a new pb flatie. I think his best fish went 0.9 kg on 1 kg line. He caught all the fish in the photo as well as more than half a doz released.

Someone was a little shy at the presentation, but was really thrilled with his new rod,reel,tackle box,hat and trophy

All the fish in the river were caught on 1 kg line. Next year we may have to fish the Basin and follow Ron around.

Bruce

post-6756-0-58475900-1361759514_thumb.jpg

post-6756-0-29763500-1361759552_thumb.jpg

post-6756-0-71532900-1361760498_thumb.jpg

post-6756-0-83785700-1361761032_thumb.jpg

Mate seeing kids involved in fishing and enjoying it is what gives us all that warm-n-fuzzy feeling inside.

We are watching them enjoying their childhood and creating their lifelong memories.

We also know that we are creating the fishos of the future.

So when they are all grown up and they look at that photo and say "remember that trip we did and I won my first fishing trophy ?"

We can look them through a teary eye and say in a shaky voice "Yes mate - I was there - you were just a little kid then"...

We treasure those days...

Tony