Tinny advice

burny86

Hi fellow raiders,

I'm keen to try Botany Bay in my 12ft 8hp tinny,

I was wondering if this would be able to handle the bay and if so were would be a good spot to start.

I don't want any secret spots lol just a few tips for a beginner, I'm keen on soft plastics and have a large range which I have used with success in the George's river but lately I've been keen to try somewhere new.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The boat would be OK on a good day however , if the wind get's up it can become very choppy , very quickly.

There are 4 ramps in or near the Bay area. Depending on the wind direction launch at the one which will be most protected ,

EG , If from the N/E , launch at Foreshore Drive & fish the Northern side of the Bay.

If from the South , launch at Kurnell to fish the Southern side.

As for fishing spots this map is a good place to start. If you buy on line there is additional postage & handling so check out a few tackle stores around the Bay area , they should have them in stock

http://www.afn.com.au/store/AFN-Fishing-Maps/c14/p27/Map-23:-Botany-Bay/product_info.html

Geoff

Like Geoff said be watchful of the weather as Botany bay is not a good spot in a small boat when the wind kicks in, there has been a lot of boating accidents on the bay over the years and most of them should not have happened.

Pick your day, keep a life jacket on and watch the weather and you will have a good safe trip. Taylor Bay is a good spot after a blow for school jew and big bream.

Jeff

Any sort of southerly in the bay turns it into a washing machine... I have a 4m tinny with a 15hp on the back, so not much different to you...

Personally I would keep an eye on the weather, or the wind more so, seabreeze is a pretty good indicator. If it says its going to be a good morning and then ramping up to 30knots by midday, you can usually feel it starting up which is your indication to make preparations to head back in.

Fishingphase