Botany Bay | First Time

Marc Whitty

Hi everyone

It’s my first time every owning a boat and I’m not sure what to get. I’m planning to use it in Botany Bay for fishing and I would also like to sleep on the boat in a swag if that is possible.

My budget it $4000-5000

I want something with a bimmy for some sun protection and I would like something with more of a flat bottom and proper seats. If anyone could give me a suggestion on the kind of boat to buy (if you could give some examples). 
Thanks 

For that sort of money Marc you are obviously looking for something older and cheap. Unless you do some serious research you will end up with a tinny that won't tick most of the boxes. Here's an idea of what you should be looking for:

All approximates...

about 4.2m long, minimum 30HP motor, bimini (preferred), 60cm sides (minimum)...ideally more.

The motor is the critical part of the equation Marc. It needs to have been regularly serviced and start easily.

Inspect the body of the boat to ensure no damage to the hull and the trailer needs to be in very good condition...no damage, no rust, skids or rollers in good condition. Take the boat for a test drive prior to purchasing. This should indicate whether it will suit your needs.

Good luck, bn

Mark. First up welcome to the site.

I have such a boat as Neil has described above.

A 4.3 Quintrex aluminium that I am currently getting it ready for fit out. It is sitting on a fully registered Dunbier trailer and has a very good reliable 40 hp Johnson 2 stroke motor sitting on it's transom.

Here is where it gets interesting.

I have not fitted it out yet so this means you could have it made to suit your requirements. The motor is electric start with forward controls and power tilt trim.

I was going to make it a side console with forward and rear casting decks and heaps of storage space in sealable lockers.

You could have it any form you want it. You design the layout OR I could help you with some suggestions.

It's currently unpainted so you could choose what colour you want it to be.

I will finish decking it out for you ready to fish.

I also have a brand new 4 post bimini we could fit for your shade comfort. have seats and they can be made to fit where you want them.

Now here is the down side.

The boat isn't ready just now and would take some time for me to build it the way you want it but in the meantime you could come fishing with me in one of my other boats while your boat is getting ready.

Summery. Boat is Quintrex 4.3 m fully registered, trailer is Dunbier fully registered, motor is 40hp Johnson electric start forward controls with electric trim tilt. The boat will be decked out with fully carpeted floor and everything where you want things to be.

The boat will be finished with all that is needed to go fishing, I will even throw in a couple of rods and reels  and tackle.

The all up cost will be $5000 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, frankS said:

Mark. First up welcome to the site.

I have such a boat as Neil has described above.

A 4.3 Quintrex aluminium that I am currently getting it ready for fit out. It is sitting on a fully registered Dunbier trailer and has a very good reliable 40 hp Johnson 2 stroke motor sitting on it's transom.

Here is where it gets interesting.

I have not fitted it out yet so this means you could have it made to suit your requirements. The motor is electric start with forward controls and power tilt trim.

I was going to make it a side console with forward and rear casting decks and heaps of storage space in sealable lockers.

You could have it any form you want it. You design the layout OR I could help you with some suggestions.

It's currently unpainted so you could choose what colour you want it to be.

I will finish decking it out for you ready to fish.

I also have a brand new 4 post bimini we could fit for your shade comfort. have seats and they can be made to fit where you want them.

Now here is the down side.

The boat isn't ready just now and would take some time for me to build it the way you want it but in the meantime you could come fishing with me in one of my other boats while your boat is getting ready.

Summery. Boat is Quintrex 4.3 m fully registered, trailer is Dunbier fully registered, motor is 40hp Johnson electric start forward controls with electric trim tilt. The boat will be decked out with fully carpeted floor and everything where you want things to be.

The boat will be finished with all that is needed to go fishing, I will even throw in a couple of rods and reels  and tackle.

The all up cost will be $5000 

Best boat for sale ad I have ever seen!

The best advice I have ever heard, for buying anything at all, is "buy the seller".  This will give you all the time in the world to learn the character of the seller coupled with fishing and boating advice.

Marc I would at least have a look at the boat Frank is selling , even if it ends up being unsuitable for your needs you will at least gain some knowledge and maybe a few ideas . I wouldn’t recommend buying glass as a first boat unless it was reasonably new and if you know little about boats I would recommend buying a glass boat from a reputable dealer - you really have to be careful buying old glass boats as most of the real issues are hidden -like a rotted out transom . TBH i doubt you will find anything near what Frank is offering for 5k .

• Like 3

This is the boat and trailer as it sits at the moment.

IMG20221219111258.thumb.jpg.64252cbe2d7ba6ab1b81487efba25e4e.jpg

IMG20221219111313.thumb.jpg.670e0b70ecabfc149e48be292e4df66a.jpg

Looks pretty crappy as is but imagine it with a fresh coat of paint to your color scheme

I had intended to deck it out similar to this one ( one of my old boats )  but the layout would be to your design.

bassboat4.thumb.jpg.1bd735ed05dfdb5fe68dcbe5a4e09c90.jpg

Frank

PS the motor alone is worth approx $ 2.500 to $3000 

• Like 3

If that boat Frank has put up, " floats your boat "   or fit's your purpose, You'd be hard pressed to find anything of better value than what Frank put up.

I have actually been putting a few thought bubbles in me o'l cranium of late, on this exact type set up. 

With the Shoalhaven river on my back door, My FibreGlass boat, I'm finding, just a bit too cumbersome in the river, for the type of fishing the river has to offer. I was out for a wee run up the river day before yesterday, just really wanted to give the engine a quick run, before the 12 month service, which got done yesterday, I took a couple of rods, just incase I felt the urge and I ended up fishing for a good 4-5 hours, having great fun on the Taylor, which were taking just about anything offered. But with low tide, and no spotlock, which damn near every other boat out that day, had that set up and had far better access to spots I couldn't get into, I had a brain wave about maybe tricking up a smaller Aluminum version, solely for river use.  Way easier to quickly head out for a morning or arvo's quick fishing than lugging the 18ft Fibreglass version. So Franks offering would be the perfect weapon, especially getting in, before it being fitted out and get it done to what suits your type of fishing..     

It would certainly be a good first boat, to get your sea legs and get you out on the water learning the skills needed. 

• Like 3

Just clarifying.  When you said flat bottom i hope you meant a flat floor, not bottom.  Bottany bay is no place for a flat bottom (punt) boat. I would  recommend an early Quintrex from 4 to 4.5 meters with flared bow and flat floor.  On the rare cases their up for sale the 4.5 meter Lazeabout was one of the most popular boats they made and I bought one new back in 1982.  They are getting on a bit now but a very solid built and seaworthy boat I had no qualms about going to the peak and 12mile on a good day but an outstanding roomy little bay boat.  Ron 

• Like 1