Washing reels after fishing?

Hussein kobeissi

Hey guys after recently buying a boat I have been washing my reels with the gurni at the car wash after every trip and just realised 4 ov my reels have seized. Went and got them serviced from local tackle shop and the owner said to me washing your reels is a big No No as it pushes the salt further into the reel.

Just wanted to know is it true washing reels can wreck them? Am I better off not touching them after a trip.

Cheers Sam.

I reckon not washing them will give you the same result over a period of time. The important thing is not force water over them at any pressure as it will force the salt further inside. You should tighten your drag right up and then rinse with a dribble of water, moving the working parts as you do it. Once you have finished, slacken your drags back off and leave to dry before putting them away.

Hope this helps

Dave

I use a spray bottle to spray a mist of water onto the reel and then wipe it down with a cloth. If the line looks sandy, I sometimes take off the the spool and rinse the line under a tap very carefully and wipe till dry.

Using a gurni is definitely not the way to go, the garden hose adjusted to spray but closer to the straight jet of wateris adequate, but its important to oil the moving parts in your reels before you go fishing, that way the oil will protect it at the end of the day when your hosing it down.

Fishingphase

The best or one of the best ways to wash your gear is salt away. You can buy it in a spray bottle ready to use. Look up the web site. Pressure or high pressure on reels is a big no no.

A fine mist and warm soapy water is the next best thing.

It's true not washing them will be just as bad.

Good thing to do also is spray some lanox on a rag and wipe the reels over and also spray the lanox in the oil port on the handle and other moving parts.

Edited by Bluefin74

Hey guys after recently buying a boat I have been washing my reels with the gurni at the car wash after every trip and just realised 4 ov my reels have seized. Went and got them serviced from local tackle shop and the owner said to me washing your reels is a big No No as it pushes the salt further into the reel.

Just wanted to know is it true washing reels can wreck them? Am I better off not touching them after a trip.

Cheers Sam.

I have always washed down my reels with the hose on fine mist, paying attention to do it quickly and introducing as little water as possible to get the job done. All you are doing is wasing away the salt on the outside of the reel no need for blasting. Doing it with a gerni or too much pressure will eventually get water inside the reel unless its a sealed reel like the new Daiwas. Even with these Im careful.

Lately Ive been using a rag wet with warm water and wiping over the reels and I reckon this is the best way to go. I still hose the rods though.

using a warm chamoi & wiping the reel down & getting into nicks & crannies is the best method i have reels that are close to yrs 10 old with original bearings never had an issue with them .

When i worked in a tackle shop , had sold plenty of reels, tho had customers come back within the week ,complaining that the reel is making funny noises.

The first thing i say to them how did you wash it ? under a tap or hosed them down.

Unfortunately no matter how you tighten the drag even a drop of water can get into the body .

in my opinion no reel is water proof