1st fish on lure off the beach

SMn

G'day,

Went for a quick cast off the beach at wamberal yesterday arvo, 2nd time trying out lures on the Alvey 650grbc. Was using a 65g Knight and was getting good distance but no takes. Swapped over to a piece of squid, walked next gutter over and bang! As soon as it hit the water I was on, a nice 32cm tailor. So I quickly changed back to the lure and the next 2 casts were unsuccessful, was considering changing back to bait after the 3rd, when halfway through the retrieve a felt a hefty strike, a brief struggle and another 32cm tailor, 1st time on a lure, was stoked! Released both fish as I already had a couple from the inlaws waiting in the fridge. Few more casts for practice and then home. Sorry no pics didn't bring the phone.

Edited by SMn

Congrats! Was that tailor on the knight and what action did you impart on it?

Yeh the second tailor was on the knight, should have made that clearer in the original post. As far as action goes I'm still a newbie, but after the 1st tailor hit the squid as soon as it landed, I was winding hard on impact then let it settle after a sharp turn or two, then hard again. I'm still getting used the fast retrieve rate so I think I probably clearing about 8-10m before letting it settle then cranking again. I was casting roughly about 50-60m and the lure was in the water for less than a minute during the retrieve. If that makes any sense...

The lure was attached directly with swivel via a clip.

Yeh the second tailor was on the knight, should have made that clearer in the original post. As far as action goes I'm still a newbie, but after the 1st tailor hit the squid as soon as it landed, I was winding hard on impact then let it settle after a sharp turn or two, then hard again. I'm still getting used the fast retrieve rate so I think I probably clearing about 8-10m before letting it settle then cranking again. I was casting roughly about 50-60m and the lure was in the water for less than a minute during the retrieve. If that makes any sense... The lure was attached directly with swivel via a clip.

Ah ok. I bought a knight lure ages ago as I was thinking of trying it out at the beach. It didn't work the few times I tried it at a beach and then I saw some youtube vids of people using them as vertical jigging lures off a boat instead. That didn't do my confidence much good. I will persevere with them next time :)

Ah ok. I bought a knight lure ages ago as I was thinking of trying it out at the beach. It didn't work the few times I tried it at a beach and then I saw some youtube vids of people using them as vertical jigging lures off a boat instead. That didn't do my confidence much good. I will persevere with them next time :)

I was using a clip swivel attached to the lure then straight to mainline, it seemed to move fairly well through the water, but you know what tailor are like when then feed, could have just been a massive fluke! Hahaha...

Edited by SMn

Well done nowno more smelly messy bait unless live. Fishing with a Lure is definately one of the best ways to catch fish, anything from whiting, bream, flatties, jew to kings and marlin. The thing is you'll need to put in more than three casts to get fish, believe me couple of hundred casts a day and you usually come home with fish, if not there not there :fish_h4h: .

Well done nowno more smelly messy bait unless live. Fishing with a Lure is definately one of the best ways to catch fish, anything from whiting, bream, flatties, jew to kings and marlin. The thing is you'll need to put in more than three casts to get fish, believe me couple of hundred casts a day and you usually come home with fish, if not there not there :fish_h4h: .

Yeh my wife will be so pleased if I stop using bait hahaha and I like being mobile on the beach and rocks so no mucking around with sinkers and hooks and all that jazz, just a couple of different sized lures sounds awesome. My goal for this year is to score a jewie off the beach never considered a lure for the job, adds another option for the quiver! Thanks mate!

I want to start using my alvey of the beach now hahaha. Retrieval rate is good, but gettinig the cast distance is another thing. I get scared casting big slugs with 10 lb line.

Feels very strange for me still as well but I reckon something in the 40g range would be pretty safe on 4-5kg line. Without leaders and sinkers and extra swivels you can belt them out a good distance on the alvey, have a crack an let us know how you go...

Yeah mate I'll let you know. I find that Using a shock leader helps. Might glue together the knots as well to give extra strength. The worst feeling is flinging a huge slug out and thinking 'god that wet far' only to realise it's no longer attached to your line.

Yeah mate I'll let you know. I find that Using a shock leader helps. Might glue together the knots as well to give extra strength. The worst feeling is flinging a huge slug out and thinking 'god that wet far' only to realise it's no longer attached to your line.

Hahaha better safe than sorry hey...