Port Hacking

Yowie

Had a fish this morning. Pumped a few nippers at Mainbar, but it was too hard to fish there as the lumps of kelp kept rolling along the bottom and tangling the line. The kelp was from the storm a few weeks ago.

Drifted along the banks near the Ballast Heap and further up for 2 trevally of 34 and 43cms (released the larger one) a flattie over 50cm and a whiting of 29cm. Also released a just over legal flounder.

Around the Ballast Heap were schools of sand mullet, pulled out a couple around the 30cm mark and lost a bigger one, but there were plenty there.

Headed back to Gunnamatta Bay to put the boat away and saw some pilchards jumping, so threw a lure in amongst them and pulled out a 42cm tailor, the only hit.

Threw the fish bones in after cleaning, and a few bream turned up, managed to pull out one of 28cm, so a mixed bag of fillets.

Took a photo of a couple of the fish, but it will not upload.

post-13153-0-46936400-1363242847_thumb.jpg

Thanks Chris, a few there. You had a good catch yourself the other day.

Can only hope with the jews. When I was out the other day, did not see any surface action, apart from bait fish. Did not see any frigates near me at all.

i found after it rains, there are bucket loads of tailor roaming around the hacking.

a couple of times down at grays point ive been smashed by taylor after a good rain, they wont even let the bait hit the bottom before taking it.

the first time i went there (late feb, early march?), caught a few that had these white bugs hanging off the gills or in the mouth, found they were some type of isopod that cling to the fish via gills or tongue and feed off what they are feeding, never saw this before in ym life. threw the fish back in thinking they were infested with something but then found out what they were later.

Edited by nickmenai

i found after it rains, there are bucket loads of tailor roaming around the hacking.

a couple of times down at grays point ive been smashed by taylor after a good rain, they wont even let the bait hit the bottom before taking it.

the first time i went there (late feb, early march?), caught a few that had these white bugs hanging off the gills or in the mouth, found they were some type of isopod that cling to the fish via gills or tongue and feed off what they are feeding, never saw this before in ym life. threw the fish back in thinking they were infested with something but then found out what they were later.

Yeah, colloquially we always called those things 'doctors', they look pretty vile. They're common on yellowtail and in little red bream, as well.

They're very similar to this one found in America: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymothoa_exigua

Another one I've seen a few times in a much larger parasite which burrows into the abdominal cavity of leatherjacket. The leather jacket looks as though it has something abnormal out of its side - that's the 'tail' of the parasite. Gross as hell.