Hawkesbury mullet

Day's Fishin

Thursday decided to get some bait for fishing Sydney harbour on Friday. We caught 15 in just 2 hours between 3 of us and left them crashing the bread burly all over the place. We never take more bait then we intend to use.I don't believe in stocking my freezer with bait I might or might not use.

Jeff

post-5857-0-30488300-1364767975_thumb.jpg

Yeh I can never catch those big mullet. I always see them swimming around but they ignore everything. I can only catch those little poddy mullet. Also how would you serve that for jewies ?

They look to be of decent size. Any tips on catching mullet? Can't seem to get them interested.

They ranged from about 15cm to 40cm.

As for catching them, firstly you must become part of their environment! By that I mean keep your boat still and don't have the sun behind you. Burly the top of the water with fresh white bread. When the mullet are actively taking the bread off the top of the water throw out a unweighted 3kg mono line and wait until the fish starts to run with the hook before lifting your rod and setting the hook. I use a bass rod and bait caster reel. Just remember it is easy to pull the hook if you strike to hard or pump the fish. They are a great fighting fish when they get into the 1kg plus range. Best times are dusk and dawn as is for the majority of fish. When putting the bread on your hook make sure you leave a streamer hanging as they seem to favour this way of putting it on. I hope that helps and gets you onto some good mullet.

Jeff

Yeh I can never catch those big mullet. I always see them swimming around but they ignore everything. I can only catch those little poddy mullet. Also how would you serve that for jewies ?

I have never tried catching Jew's with mullet. Fresh squid and live bung (yellowtail ) is what I use for them.

Jeff

Light gear with pencil float is sometimes a bit easier to hook up and yeah the big ones can fight. In the old days before we used squid, a big mullet pinned on a 10/0 was the top bait for the big river Dews

They ranged from about 15cm to 40cm.

As for catching them, firstly you must become part of their environment! By that I mean keep your boat still and don't have the sun behind you. Burly the top of the water with fresh white bread. When the mullet are actively taking the bread off the top of the water throw out a unweighted 3kg mono line and wait until the fish starts to run with the hook before lifting your rod and setting the hook. I use a bass rod and bait caster reel. Just remember it is easy to pull the hook if you strike to hard or pump the fish. They are a great fighting fish when they get into the 1kg plus range. Best times are dusk and dawn as is for the majority of fish. When putting the bread on your hook make sure you leave a streamer hanging as they seem to favour this way of putting it on. I hope that helps and gets you onto some good mullet.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I will give this a try next time the mullet are around.