Harbour bread and butter

iconnolly

Fished the Harbour again on Saturday afternoon for some "bread and butter" fish.

Took home 4 nice flathead and a flounder for the table. Yum! Is it just my wife and I or are flounder usually more tasty than flathead?

Gave a just legal trevally to my mate who is into sashimi. Apparently trevs are great raw.

My mate took home my trevally a nice flathead and just legal tailor.

We released a few small flathead, undersized tailor and a heap of red bream.

The biggest of the flathead was either extremely hungry or extremely dumb. We were in about 8 metres of water and it chased my squidgy up to the side of the boat. After about 3 or 4 goes at munching on the rubber and not getting hooked I let it run with it for about 20 to 30 seconds and then set the hook. I've never seen this behaviour before. I thought flathead just lay on the bottom and ambushed anything that came to within 1/2 a metre of it's face.

Reeltired

post-4984-0-09257400-1364781882_thumb.jpg

Edited by reeltired2

Occasionally flatties will swim off the bottom to attack baitfish, or chase prawns that swim to the surface and jump along trying to escape.

A few times fishing for flatties outside in deep water, I have seen a flattie swim to the surface beside a hooked one, then dropped over a bait to hook the free swimming flattie.