After a weekend of drinking, eating and festive activities we decided to head to sea and see what we could find, the weather prediction was great and the Sea surface charts showed promising water close to the coast so out we went!! With a plan of checking the local buoys, The FAD and Manly Hydraulics buoy and head a little east to where we hooked that marlin last week.

DSC02838.JPG

Rounding South Head to beautiful conditions

Coming up the harbour was a mission as the whole Sydney sailing fraternity decided to take to the harbour all at once and take up any possible square foot of water in the main channels. I wouldn’t like to be a captain of the Manly ferry as this would be a nightmare to navigate all day, back and forth…

post-22587-0-72597900-1364946808_thumb.jpg

Conditions are great but the fish didn't want to play ball

After passing the many sailboats we loaded the two different spreads with bait, we decided to run small lures (Nano sardines, pinks, skipjack and purple frigate) till we got into deeper water. So we punched it up to north head where we were greeted by blue, warm water that felt fishy!! There were birds working bait from the outside of north head so out went the lures as the water temp was 25.6 but as we worked the inshore bait hoping for a small black Marlin the signs of predatory fish became merely a wish…

post-22587-0-38533400-1364947320_thumb.jpg

Dragging lures around tightly packed bait hoping for a Baby Black Marlin

After coming up with zeros on that bait we headed towards the Sydney FAD, as we approached the FAD we could see micro dollies jumping around up current. The water temp was 25.8 and blue but the current was running up the hill, from south to north. Seems like there is a big Eddie of Sydney. After we had passed the buoy from every direction for no joy we headed northeast to the Manly Hydraulics Buoy where it the situation was a mirror image.

post-22587-0-02635400-1364947276_thumb.jpg

Choosing the spread for the fish your targeting is hard especially if you have too many lures to choose from...

The current was running up the hill at about 3.5 knots, warm and blue with only micro dollies, where are all the big ones? My guess is you’ll find the bulls on Flotsam… so with several passes from every possible direction without a sniff from these little fish we headed nor east to the marks we caught the last beakie a week ago. There were current lines as far as they eye could see, the temperature varied from 25.1 to 25.8 over such a small distance with bait in every direction. The weather was pristine with 5knots of ENE and a very lazy swell made it enjoyable. All the indicators to marlin were there, nice clean water, bait, temperature breaks, current breaks and even the right type of birds!!

post-22587-0-16465700-1364947365_thumb.jpg

Running the TrollPro is a great way to see fish come up on your lures but also see how your lures swim according to the conditions.

We worked the area for a number of hours as the radio chatter or lack of indicated that there wasn’t much happening wider, so why leave bait to find bait right?

It was hard to believe we couldn’t raise or mark a fish, it seemed almost to perfect of a situation…

post-22587-0-94287700-1364947392_thumb.jpg

Make sure your teaser is well secured as marlin and other game fish don't mind having a go at the teaser, check out that spray!!

The bait was flighty and spread out but we worked our Scent Blazers into the dark without as much as a strike, maybe the water pushing up the hill has something to do with it, or is it this big Eddie off Sydney? Who knows, all I know I did not hear of a fish caught, hooked raised or even seen yesterday.

post-22587-0-20138900-1364947425_thumb.jpg

A sunset over Sydney is a perfect day to end an otherwise slow days fishing.

Check out episode 1 of High speed trolling tips!!

Get Scent Blazer Lure packs at http://scentblazer.com/Products.aspx

Tight lines

Andrew

SBC

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Still a good day to be on the water. Where are all the fish but? I'm praying that is going to be a LATE season rather than a dismal season. Are you happy with the troll pro my mates thinking about getting the housing. It's very inconsistent ATM . All we can do is pray to the fish gods?. Better luck next time . Evan

P.s can you pm me where you got your LEDs from please?

Still a good day to be on the water. Where are all the fish but? I'm praying that is going to be a LATE season rather than a dismal season. Are you happy with the troll pro my mates thinking about getting the housing. It's very inconsistent ATM . All we can do is pray to the fish gods?. Better luck next time . Evan

P.s can you pm me where you got your LEDs from please?

It sure was mr.e.d, your guess as to where all the fish are is as good as mine. At this stage It might still fire as I heard port had a few good days of solid fish and in numbers. The troll pro is great!! Takes a little setting up but we can run 4 to 5 lures in shot! The quality is far better than the troll cam and with the extended battery and extra memory cards we can run it all day!!

I've been praying to the fishing and weather gods to bring us some fish!! I'll send you a link where you can get them shortly.

"The bait was flighty and spread out but we worked our Scent Blazers into the dark without as much as a strike, maybe the water pushing up the hill has something to do with it, or is it this big Eddie off Sydney? "

Correct...

there is a large upwelling sitting about 70km offshore from Wollongong swirling the current running downhill clockwise around it and then pushing back uphill past Sydney coast in closer

See pic attached!

post-16878-0-69902700-1365041955_thumb.jpg

"The bait was flighty and spread out but we worked our Scent Blazers into the dark without as much as a strike, maybe the water pushing up the hill has something to do with it, or is it this big Eddie off Sydney? "

Correct...

there is a large upwelling sitting about 70km offshore from Wollongong swirling the current running downhill clockwise around it and then pushing back uphill past Sydney coast in closer

See pic attached!

Nice, Thanks rexaway1234, seems like its not budging!!