Sunday Sydney Yellowfin

Scent Blazer Lures

Our day started with chatter on the radio of Wahoo, Yellowfin and Marlin being caught off Sydney, with no one divulging any info on the whereabouts of little honey hole out on the big blue we continued with plan A which consisted of putting our spread of Scent Blazer High speed lures out at north head and running nor east to the Sydney FAD than to The Hydraulics Buoy and than out towards the bait station, swapping the lures for the chance of a blue marlin.

DSC02000.JPG

Picking up the Scent Blazer Crew

DSC02020.JPG

Checking all the gear on the way out through Sydney Harbour

As we put in our spread of Scent Blazers and headed nor’ east we were greeted by a slight nor’ Easter and a lazy swell, this continued to easy the further east we traveled. The water started blueish with a tinge of green and 23.0 degrees, after arriving at the FAD the temp rose to 25.6 and blue with a slight current pushing down the coast.

DSC02048.JPG

Nor' Easter Kicking up down the Harbour!!

As we approached the FAD I eased off the throttle bringing the speed down to 7.5 knots, the first pass resulted in a zero, it had no signs off life on the buoy and was looking very ordinary so I picked up the speed and took it up to 15 knots and we continued nor east pulling our high speed spread of heavily weighted bullet head Scent Blazers. I must add they didn’t break the surface once and always held nicely in the water even at speeds of 18 knots.

DSC02043.JPG

Getting the spread loaded with bait and ready to deploy. a great idea is to match the bait with the lure colour, so you have a green mackerel lure, load it with mackerel. it makes the lure taste and look like the actual bait fish!

With the Manly Hydraulics buoy in sight we slowed the boat down to 8 knots and commenced a pass of the buoy, with both the buoys being void of any life we continued east nor east to the bait station. With ears peeled to the radio we listened as we headed east at 15knots dragging our high speed spread. Not long after we came across a distinct current, temp and colour change from green to blue and from 24.5 to 25.6 degrees.

DSC02232.JPG

Another nice Yellowfin to the Scent Blazer Crew, seems as though the fish were feeding on pilchards because all fish fell to the Scent Blazer Nano Sardine bullet head loaded with pilchards.

Not long after passing the change we had a bite on the long corner at 15 knots but the hooks failed to stick. Peter saw a longish fish come out of the water while striking, possible Wahoo? On later investigation we found the skirt missing a big piece from the head down, with the amount Wahoo caught that day it wouldn’t surprise me if it were a Wahoo. In the distance boats appeared and as we got closer we could see they were working the area talked about on the radio, as we approached we could see a big school of Yellowfin, Dolphin fish and Wahoo on what looked like a kill slick.

DSC02140.JPG

A nice Yellowfin tuna caught on a Scent Blazer Nano in Sardine/Pilchard pattern loaded with pilchard.

Our first pass resulted in a hook up on a Nano in sardine colour loaded with pilchard on the shot gun, first fish was a nice little Yellowfin Tuna which was quickly bled, gutted and chilled. This continued till the wind increased and the fish went deep, at one point we let the trollPro sink and when we looked at the footage we were surprised to find how many Wahoo where actually under the tuna!!

GOPR0006.MP4_snapshot_05.07_%5B2013.03.1

Unbelievable!! who would have thought the Wahoo were just under the tuna, everyone thought they moved on, clearly not.

We worked the area for another hour before we pointed the boat to Sydney. As the wind had created chop the fish went deep so we added a trolling sinker to our shotgun and within minutes we were hooked up again on another nice little yellowfin tuna. I guess being able to change your technique on the fly is one of the advantages of using Scent Blazer Lures, this was proved by simply adding a little bit of weight which got the bite!

DSC02250.JPG

Perfect hook up in the top of the mouth, the Hook lock system really gives you a better hookup because you can position the hook in an upward position.

DSC02267.JPG

A beautiful fish made for speed! check out those colours...

As we crossed the many current lines and colours changes towards Sydney the bite continued into the darkness with the last yellowfin being caught just off north head!! I’ve never caught them that close and was great to see that these fish will come in close; I guess they will follow the current with depth not being much of an issue.

DSC02300.JPG

Sydney Sunset, simply priceless!!

See more pics and videos at http://scentblazer.com/PhotosVideos.aspx

Until the next bite...

Tight Lines

Andrew

SBC

Hey mate love reading your reports, just wondering what distance you saw the water colour change from green to blue ? We've been out to the MHL buoy a few times and it's been pretty green out there and current moving pretty fast but if it's not too far then we might venture a bit further, cheere