Last few yak sessions - Perch, Bream and Flatties

rjc123

Hi Raiders,

The Bream have been really slow of late but finally managed to get amongst a few.The Perch have certainly kept me busy lately at least... There's plenty of good fish around but as the water cools so is the fishing ... Don't know how i'll go through winter without any topwater action.. Might have to get into the salmon and bigger tailor to keep the obsession healthy...

Had a few good sessions on the perch recently. Mainly smaller guys around 25-30cm with a few mid 30's in the mix. They're good fun on light gear/ No match for a bream in terms of fight but a worthwhile target none the less. The Z-man Grubz in motor oil, bloodworm and watermelon red matched with 1/12 and 1/16 jigheads have been the go... Fish them just like for bream and you'll get the perch. Been busted off by what I have no doubt were bigger 40+ perch as they tend to enjoy holding in very tight country.. Not friendly areas for 4lb leader. A few average bream always find their way onto the end of the grubz as by-catch!

post-14949-0-14036200-1364978610_thumb.png

post-14949-0-60037500-1364978717_thumb.png

post-14949-0-12922200-1364978747_thumb.png

The bream have bee tough but it's always fun exploring skinny water getting a few on topwater. Once again Bassday Sugapens and Strada Virals have done the damage on a bunch of nice bream to 33cm. They go very nicely in skinny water on 1-2kg gear! Some unstoppables have been lost in around the moored boats and marinas which were no match for 4lb leader. Sometimes 4lb is whats required to get the bite in the first place so really tough to land these fish! Always a few flatties popping their heads up while breaming... Mostly small tackers in the 40's with the odd fish pushing 60cm.

post-14949-0-12376400-1364978771_thumb.png

post-14949-0-51096200-1364978793_thumb.png

post-14949-0-14800100-1364978813_thumb.png

Jewfish are taking up the majority of my time over the next month so stay tuned... Hopefully there'll be something to report :thumbup:

Cheers, Tom

Thanks for your informative report and I enjoyed reading about your adventures. I also have found the bream off the bite. I've had most success near the low tide point on either side rather than a rising or high tide (which is strange I thought). A question I have is how heavy can the jighead be if it is to be effective in a strong-ish current? Anyway, good luck for your jew fishing sessions!

Onya Tom! Getting it done mate.

that marina will only get better and better for you guys. once you find out which hulls the perch sit at (on particular days) you will definitely find some bigger ones (40s :banana: )

Can't wait to join you guys some day...... needa keep saving for this bloody hobie!

Now go get a jew at jew at the ville :harhar:

cheers,

matty :lol:

Nice work on the EP tom, they are some of my favourites to catch! they certainly go hard for their size. cant wait for the jew report (might be some more on the zmans?) if you find the salmon and tailor let us know, cause we all know what i cant get enough of haha (bring on the surface pelagics.... well anything on surface really)

Nice job mulloway man. It's always a dilemma with the bream for me, go heavier to land them or lighter to hook them haha still haven't found that perfect balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've settled on 6 generally but In some area's it's too heavy.. 3 and 4lb are the only options sometimes if you want to get the fish..

Perch on the other hand couldn't care less about leader. 8lb does the job usually.

Cheers, Tom