1st Ever Jewfish

filthmonger

Hit georges river late yesterday arvo for my 3rd proper Jewie mission. Had seven fresh butterflied yakkas and 4 squid bought from Macs bait bar in hand. Anchored up in a likely spot and within twenty minutes i start getting some bites on the rod with the yakka. Convinced that it was pickers we keep watch on the rod as the baitrunner slowly starts to tick over then starts running flat out. Jumped out of my chair and struck and there was weight on the rod! Not much weight but we knew it was a jewie. After putting up a good fight we get it on board. 55cm only a pup but still stoked. Tried to release it but unfortunately he wasnt to keen to swim away and didnt look too healthy (are jewies normally really sensitive when it comes to catch and release?) Oh well solid feed anyway. Fish till about 7:30 unitl we ran out of bait.

All night we kept getting really solid bites but no more runs. When we would pull the bait in it would be mangled up usually the side of the butterfly without the hook, sometimes nothing left but the yakka head, is this Jewfish behavior or maybe something else?

post-25065-0-51452600-1365464860_thumb.jpg

If you are going to return a jewie its best to snip the line. As soon as they come out of the water their chance of survival drops massively. I think the figures ar w on the fisheries website. But thats a nice feed. He isn't too big but he will feed you a couple times over. Congrats man now show us a 10kg model.

Nice effort on the jewy and congrats on it been your first! Your persistence has paid off. Fresh bait is certainly the key to catching jewys!

They can be sensitive to release as they put a lot of their effort into the fight. This is why they generally come into the boat belly up in my experience. Smaller ones usually return to the water ok, but they will put the school off when released. As for the chewed yakka, it could be soapies (smaller Jew) or small tailor about. That size Jew should taste nice on the plate anyway!!!

Cheers scratchie!!!

From my experience they release fine, Especially if hooked in the mouth. I have released a fair few smaller Jews and they have kicked off with plenty of go.

As long as you only have them out for 10-20 seconds and they have not been deep hooked then the survival rate goes up to around 80%.

Have been out with a very accomplished Jew fisherman a while back and we got 4 soapies in 10 mins and released one after the other and kept catching without any spooking of the school.

The only way they should go belly up is from depth. Anything over about 60 feet and their swim bladder will be gone.

Thanks mate, in hindsight i probably could have gave him a little more time to recover, i was swimming him for a while and he just sat in my hand limp and could stay upright on his own.

If you were swimming him for a while, he may not have survived anyway. If they are happy to be released, they will swim off fairly quickly.

Releasing a jewie at the surface usually does not scare away any others, as the fish will swim away from the boat and not straight down, however, if you hook a jewie and lose it fairly soon afterwards, any others will swim away with that one. Proved that many times when schools were around the boat years ago. Also found that the school may return at a later time.

From my experience they release fine, Especially if hooked in the mouth. I have released a fair few smaller Jews and they have kicked off with plenty of go.

As long as you only have them out for 10-20 seconds and they have not been deep hooked then the survival rate goes up to around 80%.

Have been out with a very accomplished Jew fisherman a while back and we got 4 soapies in 10 mins and released one after the other and kept catching without any spooking of the school.

The only way they should go belly up is from depth. Anything over about 60 feet and their swim bladder will be gone.

Agree with this...

Never had problems releasing soapies. Even had a 8-10kg model out of the water for a few mins (first good jew had to get pics) and released her. She kicked off well

Cheers, Tom