Problem with my Old 40hp Mariner

Muzza416

Hi all, im after some help please, recently went out towards Sydney heads and i couldnt get my boat started and we were drifting towards rocks, so we quickly threw down the anchor and started to see what could be wrong with it......we finally got it started but the controls going forward was all the way down and we were doing about 4knots all the way back to roseville boat ramp, got the boat home and still had problems starting,, i noticed that the cables that controls the fwd and revs levers on the motor wasnt moving very much...the problem seems to be in the control box....i opened the control box, and springs and washers came flying out plus the cables aswell,,,,does anyone have a manual/diagram of the controls box, coz something is broken and i need the manual to put things back into place and get it fixed so i can get back out there to fish,, also if anyone knows a mariner mechanic that is mobile to come to the Gordon area in Sydney to have a look this problem????,,.....any info would be appreciated.

Regards Muzza

I think I'm correct in saying that Mariner are are rebadged Mercury so if unable to locate a Mariner manual then perhaps try Mercury.

It sounds like your control box may be past it's use by date & therefore easier to fit a new unit which will be reliable rather than trying to fix this one & hopeing it the problem does not reoccur.

Give Craig a call at Huett Marine , he may be able to help you out. Cowan is only a short distance from Gordon so it may be easier to take the boat to Huett's

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

I had an issue with the throttle lever being very hard to push, and the engine not really revving up. I disassembled and reassembled the box at least 10 times, with not much love. Then I brought it to Huett Marine, they replaced the seized CABLES and now it purrs like new. Just an idea.