Sit in or sit on

for88y

Hi everyone. I'm looking to upgrade from a two man canoe to a single man. But have trouble making my mind up about if I should go for a sit in or sit on. I fish manly in rivers for bass but looking at going in dams as well for next season. What are your thoughts and my budget is $1000,00

Cheers Neil

I would recommend that you test both styles on the water - don't buy unless you try! You need to actually take your rod with you if you want to test them properly to see which one would suit you the best.

A sit on would be good if you intend trying the coast or estuaries at any time as sit ins are not recommended for offshore fishing, tho a lot of people like the sit ins for the rivers, as you are REALLY at 'water level' in the sit ins! I have one of each, so can choose on the day, which one I want to use! :)

Sit ins can be a bit tricky if you get swamped. Here is a good vid of how versatile a sit on is tho! :D Just make sure stuff is stowed or tied on when doing rapids!

Roberta

There are some bargains out there in the 'used' market too!!

Edited by Roberta

Sit on - more space, easy to use, easy reentry if get swamped.

Sit in - lighter and less exposed to elements.

For me, safety first. If I get swamped I want to get back to my yak very quickly, especially in shark infested deep water.

So sit on for me.

Edited by duck168

I'm to uncoordinated for sit in, so sit on is my preference. Much better stability on a sit on. When it's cold I wear a wettie, hot boardies, so the elements aren't a big deal for me. Also the kids like jumping off into the water on occasions so sit on suits my needs best. What brand are you thinking of?

Hi mate, haven't seen that particular brand around... As long as it does what you need it to do and the price fits your budget, it's the right one for you. I currently use a Cobra Tandem, super stable and lots of room but a bit slow for outside... overall it's perfect for what I need, however, in the future my next one will be peddle so I can fish more effectively and further out. Test paddle your kayak before buying, everyone has different impressions of different yaks and most of it is simply personal preference.