Burley help

dacosta74

Hi, I'm after some general advice about burley when fishing from a boat in Sydney harbour and surrounding areas. Don't worry, I'm not after your secret recipe!.

I've made it in the past - bread, tuna oil, prawns, pillies, all sorts of everything to make a nice stinky mix. Not sure i'm getting the consistency right.

What consistency should the burly be?

Deployment - What's best? I've got a burley bucket, and typically put a couple of scoops in, and weight it to send it right to the bottom. Is this best?

I've seen people mention burley cubes? Can anyone explain.

So in short..

Burley tips?

What should it look like?

How much and how often?

And anything else you can think of!! Thank for your help!

G'day

What species are you targeting? The biggest thing is to have a steady stream but not too much to feed the fish.

I've had a fair bit of luck with a mincer I got online

Cheers Leo

I'd love to try and pick up a King but not sure I'll get on the water quick enough.

Otherwise, would just like to attract some reasonable sized fish for the table - bream, a decent snapper would be nice.

Can I ask what you put into the mincer? Are you talking one of the hand crank one's you attach to the kitchen surface? What is your consistency like, like mince meat?

Thanks for replying.

Yeah a bench mounted mincer, usually done outside though. I should add it's a fairly messy job.

I haven't targeted kings much. But have had good success with snapper. I would mince all the guts and frames of fish and add chopped pilchards and prawn shells. Seemed to work a treat.

But I usually just cube pilchards for snapper.

Cheers Leo

mate i fish in the hacking and where i fish the tide doesnt flow to fast so if i am lazy i just mix up a couple of bags of breadcrumbs with so tuna oil and use that. I put a fair bit of water so it starts off pretty runny, though it will dry up over the course of the fishing trip. I put a small scoop out every time i cast. I like using tuna oil becuase i am using pillies typically for bait and so the fish will be attracted to the tuna oil and will be looking for some pillies etc to eat. Works well with bream. While i am fishing though i do put out the occasional bits of pillies out also, though i make sure i cut these into small pieces.

If ur targetting bream. A simple old crummed bread, sand, and sea water mixed into a good paste that can ball up. In still waters it will drop straight down and slowly disperse brining in bream big and small. An small lead weight or no weight at all into the area where you burleyed withh get you onto some. With running waters slow drift would be good with minimal weights. Or even a small light weith pencil float. As for bait, use whatever ur burlying with, so some fresh white bread on a small size 8 hook will do the job. Just let the current take line and feel for the bite.

Target a single species and then burley for them, instead of mixing everything old n smelly together.

get some pvc tube and end caps cut the tube in 6 peaces the lenght off your burly pot then cut it length wise all the way leaving about 25mm uncut the purpose is so after freezing its easy to get out

mix;all the left over bait and guts and so on

1 bag off pillys

1 bag off bread crumbs

1 bag off bran

1 bag off polard

half a bottle off tuna oil

mince the fish bits and pillys then add the rest best done in a 20ltr bucket with a big stick pack into tubes with one end cap at the end off the tube that is not cut freeze

one tube will last 2 to 3 hours depending on if you giggel it around or not a very good way to have berly ready to go and if you don't use a tube just refreeze cheers gary ps i take two tubes for a snapper session

get some pvc tube and end caps cut the tube in 6 peaces the lenght off your burly pot then cut it length wise all the way leaving about 25mm uncut the purpose is so after freezing its easy to get out

mix;all the left over bait and guts and so on

1 bag off pillys

1 bag off bread crumbs

1 bag off bran

1 bag off polard

half a bottle off tuna oil

mince the fish bits and pillys then add the rest best done in a 20ltr bucket with a big stick pack into tubes with one end cap at the end off the tube that is not cut freeze

one tube will last 2 to 3 hours depending on if you giggel it around or not a very good way to have berly ready to go and if you don't use a tube just refreeze cheers gary ps i take two tubes for a snapper session

Does using the burly pot not just attract the toads and leather jackets? I've pretty much given up the burly pot in preference to just cubing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think burley brings in pest like small reds jackets, chopper Taylor, yellow tail and travelly when fishing bream. I only burley (cube) when chasing snapper outside.