PB Brown trout and from a stream!

Today Royce and I ventured over the mountain to see if we could find any trout before the season closes. We decided to hit the Cox River as I had never fished it before and Royce thought it would be a good idea to show me a couple of access points which weren't too difficult to get to. I was a little dubious as I have heard that the Cox gets hammered by every man and his dog but this was not going to deter me from finally having a crack at it before the season ended.

We arrived at the stream at about 6.30am just as the sun was starting to come over the horizon and started our journey downstream. At this stage I was a little cold and miserable but extremely ready to throw my best at the stream and hope for the best. Things started out very slow, Royce was using his fly gear and I was using my new T-curve spin stick and between us we covered every little bit of fishy looking water looking for those elusive trout. He focused on the runs at the start whilst I was focusing on the pools where I couldn't see the bottom with my J-5 Rapala in brown trout colour. We must have walked a few km's when finally we got some attention. It was pretty much exactly 9.30am when the first hook up happened. I was standing on a large chunk of granite which was at the head of a pool flicking my lure parallel to the opposite bank and working it along the edge. There was a bit of glare on the water at this point (even with my polarised sunnies on) and I could not see my lure in the water, I was simply doing a nice slow roll retrieve when there was a solid hit on my rod. Then it was on, for about 5 minutes I played the fish (as I wasn't carrying a net and was using only 6lb FC leader) around all visible objects until it was nice and tired when I beached it on a level section.

The fish measured in at 54cm and weighed approx 3-4lb. Royce told me it was the biggest trout he had seen come out of a river here in Australia (he has quite alot of trout fishing under his belt, much more than my 6 months of experience) and I do not doubt him as this monster came in well above my previous personal best.

We saw a couple of more fish for the rest of the day but none others could be convinced to take our offerings. We ended up heading back around 1pm after we had explored as much as time would allow. Overall it was a great day over the hills even though it was a frosty morning. We had a good trek, caught a great fish, was in great company and had the river all to ourselves.

Thanks again Royce for showing me the stream and all of your advice. You are a dead set champion!

post-22055-0-12115000-1368863359_thumb.jpg

post-22055-0-82962100-1368863392_thumb.jpg

post-22055-0-63735900-1368863414_thumb.jpg

Guest hawkesbass

Cracker brown luc dissapointed i missed this trip but the footy was calling friday night again sensational effort and congrats on the pb

Thanks Trev, it was a great trip, I think you would have enjoyed yourself. The streams close in a couple of weeks now so if you would like to give them a shot I am sure we could arrange something before it is all over.

well done luc thats a nice fish!

Cheers bud, I was pretty stoked when it came to the surface. I wasn't expecting a fish of that calibre in the rivers.

well done! thats a nice brown trout! gotta love the colours in them

Taa muchly, they are a pretty fish. I was pretty darn happy with it. They had eluded me lately but this one makes up for the effort. :)

Whoa. That's a great fish! Going to be hard to beat that in future! Bet that made the trip for you. Pity Royce did not get any - I'm sure it was a team effort capture after all the guidance from Royce.

Its not the biggest trout I have see nfrom an australain stream or river but the biggest I have se nin that section of the Coxes the biggest fish I actually saw in th coxes were the Kowmung spawners way back in the 90's when I was a lot younger pre drought and fitter!!!!!!

By the way it was knocked on the head as a fish of that size is well past its prime in terms of spawning and produces very little in the way of eggs the best spawners that should be released are those between 30 and 45cm these are fish in thier prime!

Edited by luderick -angler

Sweet looking brown ya caught Luc , nice work :clapping:

Cheers much :)

Whoa. That's a great fish! Going to be hard to beat that in future! Bet that made the trip for you. Pity Royce did not get any - I'm sure it was a team effort capture after all the guidance from Royce.

I do believe it will be hard to beat. He is an absolute treasure trove of knowledge, I am sure that I would be still flicking around wondering what I was doing wrong if it wasn't for his help.

Wow Luke! That is a stonker trout. Did you end up keeping it? I reckon that's a PB you won't break for a long time! Congrats!

Cheers scratchie!!!

I am extremely happy with it and pretty sure you are right. I ended up taking it home and had it for dinner with the missus and the mother in law, it fed four people with a bit left over for lunch the next day. Thanks Scratchie.

P.S

It was extremely tasty.

Its not the biggest trout I have see nfrom an australain stream or river but the biggest I have se nin that section of the Coxes the biggest fish I actually saw in th coxes were the Kowmung spawners way back in the 90's when I was a lot younger pre drought and fitter!!!!!!

Sorry bud, I was pretty excited when you told me, I must have misunderstood. ;)

Thanks again for all of your help.

Congratulations on a ripping PB :thumbup:

Wonderful write up too, I felt I was there enjoying the scerenity and peacefulness not to mention the capture.

I hope this PB somewhat eases the pain of that brutal kingfish that busted you off a few weeks back. I remember reading your report at the time.

Nicely done and thanks for sharing.

Ian

Congratulations on a ripping PB :thumbup:

Wonderful write up too, I felt I was there enjoying the scerenity and peacefulness not to mention the capture.

I hope this PB somewhat eases the pain of that brutal kingfish that busted you off a few weeks back. I remember reading your report at the time.

Nicely done and thanks for sharing.

Ian

You know Ian, I had forgotten all about that until you just mentioned it. I guess it did make up for it after all hehe!

Thanks. :)

Edited by Jew Stalker