Would you fish in light rain?

Tarana

Have some time this morning, thinking of a few flicks for a fish.

Would you guys fish in light rain, landbased ?

Have not been to the concrete wall at the botany bay, but always want to try.

Cheers

Chris

Mate, I'd fish in anything other than a cyclone! Good luck! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks for the encouragement!

I am not a good fisherman though.

Have a productive day Scratchie.

You too! It's Thursday and the little fella has already reminded me it "fishing day". So I'm busy cleaning so I can get out there! But it's pouring here ATM. So hopefully by time I'm finished it stops!

Cheers scratchie!!!

It is great to take kids to fishing, I agreed too.

My 11 years old and I went together lately a few times.

He has developed some interest after a few keepers.

Now I am in trouble because a school friend of his is keen to come along with the dad too, we are no fisherman by all means.

I can tie a couple knots, another dad IS going to buy his gear.

The fish are already wet so a bit of rain probably doesn't bother them.

Hehe, it probably is true.

We caught a few blue swimmers in a pouring rain a few years ago.

It was such a memorable day!

You too! It's Thursday and the little fella has already reminded me it "fishing day". So I'm busy cleaning so I can get out there! But it's pouring here ATM. So hopefully by time I'm finished it stops!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Now I am in trouble because a school friend of his is keen to come along with the dad too, we are no fisherman by all means.

Hope you and kids have a great day.

Hope you and kids have a great day.

It's great taking the kids fishing and if he can get a mate involved even better. Keeps him entertained while you can concentrate on fishing. Even if your a novice, start reading the posts on this site of the types of rigs sinkers bait etc you can use. Also the area and time and tides people fish. It will help you immensely. Good luck!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Growing up where i did, if we didnt fish in a bit of Drizzle we would never have gone fishing! One tip though...... Watch out for lightning when you are holding a 13 ft piect of carbon!

Good luck

Learnt and it makes sense.

Thanks.

Ahh i made the same mistake and took the 6 year old godson fishing, he bagged out on whiting which then caused the chain reaction.

Now when i go to visit, his dad gets him to ask me to take him fishing. Who then tags along for the ride, which in turns causes the mum to come along with the 4 year old goddaughter and i am usually stuck rigging/baiting and de-hooking when the girls pull in fish.

I don't visit on fish perfect conditions anymore :D

6 more weeks and i'll have my own mini me, do they design tackle for toddlers? :thumbup:

It's great taking the kids fishing and if he can get a mate involved even better. Keeps him entertained while you can concentrate on fishing. Cheers scratchie!!!

No Tying new sinkers and hooks, because of snags? or line tangled between the kids, ot they starting to pull the eyes out of the pilchards and doing other funny stuff? Mine wants to change the lure every 10 minutes: Can i fish with a floater? Can i fish with a plastic? Can I fish with a running sinker? Can i use then handline? Can I have the net, there are fish just at the front of the boat. Ohh look a jellyfish, can i have the net to catch it?

No Tying new sinkers and hooks, because of snags? or line tangled between the kids, ot they starting to pull the eyes out of the pilchards and doing other funny stuff? Mine wants to change the lure every 10 minutes: Can i fish with a floater? Can i fish with a plastic? Can I fish with a running sinker? Can i use then handline? Can I have the net, there are fish just at the front of the boat. Ohh look a jellyfish, can i have the net to catch it?

Lol..... Them type off are children are called "bait"

But I hear you, my 9yo wanted to take 4 mates fishing for his birthday! 2 rods lost and probably re-rigged 30 times, had to let them know we were running out of fuel and had to head home. "Sorry boys"

Cheers scratchie!!!

Mate you gotta be positive! Saying your not a good fisho aint gonna help with your confidence.

We are what we say, our words have powerful consequences.

HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your prepared to get wet, the rain doesnt put the fish off, just look at our last session in middle harbour with my bro Greg landing a PB snapper of 60cm+. And that weekend in the space of 36hrs we had more than 50mm of rain.

Go for it mate, just buy damn good quality wet weather gear if your in a open tinny like ourseleves.

Dan

Ahh i made the same mistake and took the 6 year old godson fishing, he bagged out on whiting which then caused the chain reaction.

Now when i go to visit, his dad gets him to ask me to take him fishing. Who then tags along for the ride, which in turns causes the mum to come along with the 4 year old goddaughter and i am usually stuck rigging/baiting and de-hooking when the girls pull in fish.

6 more weeks and i'll have my own mini me, do they design tackle for toddlers? :thumbup:

It is a nice "mistake", do not you think? Lol.

Sounds like your first kid is on the way, all th best for the new mum and baby.

I did see a boy toddler fishing at the entrance just before last xmas and he was fighting with a pelican for his catch on the end of his line.

It was so funny and the boy was so cute.

Cheers

Chris

Mate you gotta be positive! Saying your not a good fisho aint gonna help with your confidence.

We are what we say, our words have powerful consequences.

Thanks for positive attitude.

I followed a mate's advice and upgraded to a set of decent gear, at the meantime got a set of okay gear for my 11 year old.

We went out about every second weekend, he has got a few keepers on plastics. I can dead stick with bait for a fish or two, but have not hooked up ANY, I mean, not even bait sized, on plastics.

I do believe never too old to learn though., lol.

I think I will get there.

HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your prepared to get wet, the rain doesnt put the fish off, just look at our last session in middle harbour with my bro Greg landing a PB snapper of 60cm+. And that weekend in the space of 36hrs we had more than 50mm of rain.

Go for it mate, just buy damn good quality wet weather gear if your in a open tinny like ourseleves.

Dan

Thank you Dan.

Noted- quality wet weather gear.

Land based fishing in any rain is good! Just find a dry spot under a bridge. When I was land based I always had better luck in the rain, my theory was the fish were also avoiding the rain :icon_razz:

Thank you for the advice, dry spots!

I have not done much fishing, am trying to gain some basic knowledge so far.

Found so much to learn, eg how to spot a gutter, channel, joining lines, etc.

Luckily this forum is full of good people, knowledgable, helpful and willing to share with newbies.

Cheers

Chris

Congratulations mate.

We have one due in August and I maaaaaaay have been looking for a set up. There are little pink or blue combos avaliable that are about 3 foot long. Perfect for catching Yakkas for Daddy to use as bait.

Good luck

Guest Aussie007

i often fish in the rain but u need to pick your days, one night last summer its was a great night nice and warm slight wind than the engine stalled with sparks coming out from around the battery, we started to row than it started to sprinkle with the run in tide we finally made it back to the bridge on the georges river, got the engine running again just as the rain stopped drove over to the boat ramp loaded up and drove off and no longer than 5 mins later it pissed down than hailed bigger than golf balls, we quickly darted into a petrol station and watched the auction

car after car piled into the servo we just sat there in amazement thinking to our selfs we were just stuck out there in a open tinny stranded! could u imagine us (3 people) sitting in a quintrex fishabout with no canopy or anything to cover us its a scary thought and something i would prefer not to go through again

Congratulations mate.

We have one due in August and I maaaaaaay have been looking for a set up. There are little pink or blue combos avaliable that are about 3 foot long. Perfect for catching Yakkas for Daddy to use as bait.

Good luck

I've been looking at those little 3 foot bait catching ugly sticks also!! I'm hoping i can strap one to the bubs when it is 3 moths old and see if a yakka or the bubs wins in a tug of war :bleh:

Grats to you and your wife for the new addition in August.

As for light rain......you pull a fish out of water so it will thank you for keeping it wet as you give it a dental check :P