Fishing & Crabbing @ Port Stephens

Ojay Samson

Hello fellow Raiders, 

It is me... Ojay, I know I know... very long time between posts.

Life has become very busy and I do not go out as much as I used to unfortunately. Seeing as I'm my biggest fan when it comes to my own YouTube videos, I recently made one to try remember my glory days of having more time and actually being able to take my boat out for a fish.

Hope someone out will enjoy the vid, or at least entertain them for a couple of minutes.

CLICK HERE  -> Crabbing in Port Stephens

Thanks,

Ojay

20190401_134506.jpg

• Like 3

Ojay. Good to see you on the water again, nice feed of crabs you have there, I was intrigued by the way you were measuring the crabs . Obviously you have marks on the net . I have never seen them measured length ways before, always measure mine across the back sideways.

Frank

Crabs are measured front to back, I didn't see your name and stuff on your marker buoys, plus you need a sinker so no rope floats on the surface, it's all there in the Fisheries rules, be prepared in case you get checked out.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/perm-prohib-saltwater

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, noelm said:

Crabs are measured front to back, I didn't see your name and stuff on your marker buoys, plus you need a sinker so no rope floats on the surface, it's all there in the Fisheries rules, be prepared in case you get checked out.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/perm-prohib-saltwater

Well there you go. I stand corrected. I have always measured them sideways, IF they need measuring, usually anything close just goes back in.

Maybe it's the old hat way of doing it. For memory it was 15cm min.

Anyhow A great catch and top feed.

Sorry that measurement was for Mud crabs Blue swimmers were 11.5cm across.

Frank

Edited by frankS
added text

Yep, they used to be measured across the back, but it seems the measurement was not consistent enough, so they changed it to front to back, no disputing it then. I also toss anything that even looks small back, it's not worth keeping a "just legal" I noticed there was quite a few females in that lot, usually indicates it still early in the season, nearly all the females disappear soon, and only bigger males stay around, I was told by a pro that the females head out to sea.

edit, the size limit increased recently to that size, it was only 10cm

Edited by noelm

4 hours ago, noelm said:

It's all there chief, don't you worry about me. Thanks for stopping by 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, frankS said:

Ojay. Good to see you on the water again, nice feed of crabs you have there, I was intrigued by the way you were measuring the crabs . Obviously you have marks on the net . I have never seen them measured length ways before, always measure mine across the back sideways.

Frank

Hey Frank, GOOD hearing from you again old buddy. Hope all is well with you, tell Val I said hello :)
Right you are in regards to the net. I've quickly gotten snippets for blue swimmer crab rules in NSW from DPI website to actually be helpful for anyone in the future who reads this.

10 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Some top eating crabs

Thanks, I can confirm... they were delicious! 

7 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Welcome back @Ojay Samson nice to see you again

You did better than us yesterday - only a few crabs and a good size flattie 

mrsswwordie

Thanks Mrs Swordie, glad the site is still going strong...love ya work. Ps as I stated in the original post, this was a video from a fishing session a while back, 28th March 2019 to be exact haha.

8 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great haul. Well done.

Thank You Thank You, Kind words are always appreciated by me.

blue swimmers.png