Which 4.2 to buy

my three sons

Hi all

This is my first post,thanks for the opportunity

Im after my first boat around a 4.2m open tinnie and have a budget of about 10k. Seen most inc Quinnies,Stessco,Anglapro,Horizon etc.Has anyone got some advice for a novice it will mainly be used for rivers In the Shire and down the South coast.

Regards

My three sons

My advice is buy what you like all those brands will do the job...i have a quintrex 420 estuary angler runabout millennium hull and it handles chop and rough weather fine.You can get the dorys with the same hull.Here's some pics.post-20199-13701568466901_thumb.jpgpost-20199-13701568805849_thumb.jpg

Just remember pretty much everyone is bias on what they own.I wanted a boat that's easy to tow,maintain and run and is 3years old in these picks and hasn't missed a beat.

Fabian.

Yeah I would go the quinny before the other 3 mentioned there reputation has been built on years of technoligy (but you pay for it) it also depends on what comes with it, the motor is as equaly important & you will regret it if you go cheep on the motor.

Im pretty sure The stessco & anglerpro are the same hull with a different fit out inside either of them would be my second choice. the horizon Im pretty sure there the ones I looked at when I was buying my boat & I there was nothing that appealed to me at all.

there are so many boat brands out there you will never know what is realy better for the individual, go through all there web sites and specs to see if 1 has anything more appealing to you. My favourite was Formosa but there internal design didnt suit me.

Test Drive & compare a few brands before buying!

Brett

When i was looking for one a few years ago i felt the Quintrex was a little over priced. I was leaning towards the Stacer as it seemed to be of a similar build quality and a touch lower in price.

In the end though i got a 4.1 open Polycraft which I cant recommend highly enough.

Dave

Guest Aussie007

quintrex have been around a long time but i seem to see post popping up every now and again with people complaining about there models and having problems with warranty, i havent looked at new models in person but have heard quintrex have messy welds and about a month ago on my last outing i pulled up beside a rather new 5m half cabin quintrex and looked at the welds than when i got to the boat ramp i looked at my 80's model quintrex and the welds were like chalk and cheese! on my 1980 model cruiseabout are nice welds the welds on this other newer boat were shocking and looked very sloppy, could have been a one off maybe?

quintrex seem to be over priced although i own one it wouldnt be on my to look at list if i was buying new

Hi, for $10K, even under that depending on the technology of the outboard, you can get yourself a Stacer 429 Rampage that offers a good riding, stable boat with extras like floor, casting deck, transom step, anchorwell, rails and more. Buying new you get you warranty that can make what seems a cheap second hand package not that cheap if you do not know what you are buying.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi all

Thankyou for your feedback on the question posted.I always thought about a quinine due to fishing out of a Fishraider ( a friends boat ) many years ago on the south coast,but realise that you pay for the name and reputation now. Will have a think about it and hope that Winter will make the price allow me to get a good deal.

regards

Cameron MTS

I'd suggest you look for a used boat with less than 100 hrs up. Go for a 4 stroke motor if possible. A relatively new 4 stroke is unlikely to have any problems. And perhaps look for a boat with an unpainted hull - less problems with bubbling under the paint caused by corrosion. Any of the top brands will be fine. Perhaps a side console to maximize space. It's a buyers market, so don't be afraid to bargain hard.

Edited by Benzeenees

Thanks Benzeenees

I have been looking at all the web sites for 2nd hand tinnies but my paranoia sets in due to not knowing what to look for and thinking I will need get some Lime + Bitters for the Lemon that I get.Will keep looking and asking questions.

Thanks again

Cameron MTS