Stonker Tarwhine

Mousse

Hi Raiders,

I had been wanting to take my uncle fishing with me for a while - but he's getting on a bit in age now and we don't live really close to each other any more. With busy lives and health issues it's near impossible to get him out on the rocks I know well. When I was a young kid - it was he who would take me fishing to places like Bundeena, Wisemans Ferry, The entrance and Tom Ugly's. It was mainly bread and butter species like Bream, Flatties and whiting - nothing really arm busting, but great memories and heaps of fun for a young kid.

Fast forward a couple of decades and he's been getting really worked up about the pics I'm showing him of 40cm plus Tarwhine and 50cm plus Drummer and Groper I've been regularly landing from my favorite Botany Bay rock spot . "We've got to go fishing together!" We'd always tell each other, but it just never seemed to work out.

Finally, he decided that he's up to it, so I bought him a pair of cleats, rigged up my second rod and Penn 750 reel with 25 pound Shneider mono and picked him up 5.30am Wednesday morning. As we were driving from his place down to the bay - it brought back heaps of fond memories - just with the roles reversed! I was the one doing the driving, rigging, choosing the spot, getting the bait, burley and he was the one coming along for the ride! I have to say, it felt great to be able to repay the favor.

Now to the report! Willy weather had the swell at 1.8m, which was usually comfortable coming from the South. Now I don't know what it was but the ferocity of the swell made it seem like they got the 1 and the 8 the wrong way around! No way was that 1.8!! Luckily the spot I fish from is still very much sheltered from direct waves from any swell from the south, but they were still breaking up to our left and spraying us making it uncomfortable, but not in any way dangerous. "See, that's why I made you wear your cleats!". It was cold and overcast - perfect bream and drummer weather.

I rigged up his rod with a no 2 ball sinker straight down to a Mustad 542 hook. Baited up with half a peeled raw King Prawn, and out into the wash it went. As I was rigging up my Alvey, I heard him laughing with delight and turned around to watch him reel in a nice mid 30cm bream! Great start! First cast - keeper!

I unhooked it, put it in the esky, and baited him up again. As I was baiting up my own outfit, he snagged his. So I put mine down and busted him off and re-rigged it again. Payback for the days he used to do that for me as a kid!

I had been telling him about all of these kilo plus fish I'd been catching from here - and over the next half hour or so we landed a few small drummer - all throwbacks and another keeper bream smaller than the first. I was really hoping that one of us would land a whopper - then it happened! His rod buckled over and he started screaming in excitement! "It's a big one! Michael it's big, it's big!"

"Relax!" I told him, "Keep reeling!". I was expecting a drummer, but as it came closer I started to see a silver body thrashing about! It was a Monster Tarwhine!! I grabbed the line and helped lift it up on to the rocks and it was really a whopper! A couple of weeks ago I caught one which went 43cm. When I measured this one...48cm!!!

The look on my Uncles face was one I won't forget for a long time. I am so glad that I gave him this opportunity and had the chance to create a memory doing something we both love before he gets too old to do it at all. He might not be able to get out to spots like this very often - but this trip makes up for all that! The rest of the day we got another Tarwhine, a 35cm Drummer and another couple of legal bream. A great feed, and a great day!

post-18191-0-20663300-1370513946_thumb.jpg

Thank you for all the nice comments guys! Even though he caught the fish - I was just as excited and happy as I had reeled it in myself!

And yeah Rob - it is a fishraider record - I know because my 43cm model which I caught a few weeks back was in top spot!

G'day Mousse,

Your story was very deep and touching.

It portrays a character who has values that are all but lost in todays world.

That character is you.

You grew up as a kid with fishing memories, made for you by your uncle.

Those memories were very powerful and shaped your thinking and personality for many decades into the future.

You understand and appreciate the beauty of those memories and love your uncle very much for contributing so much to your life.

You understand the meaning and importance of what he did for you and you are returning favour to him.

I have the greatest degree of respect and admiration for you sir.

I firmly believe that anyone with whom you interact, at any level, be it fishing or otherwise, would also see the same character in you that your uncle does.

It is always a pleasure to read reports like this and fishraiders are lucky people to have you here.

May your esky always be full of fish and good times.

Oh by the way, that's not a Tarwhine - It's a HORSE !

Tony

Thank you for all of your nice comments everyone.

What a great bunch of people you all are on here! I feel privileged to be part of a community with great people who share my passion.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk mobile