Too much Burley?

pittwaterfishing

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if there's any sort of guidelines for the amount of burley you would use? The scenario for which i am trying to plan for is hairtail in the hawkesbury. I know that if you would use too much burley for baitfish then they will be full, but how much is too much?

Thanks

Mate personally I reckon that you should feed them the scent of tasty stuff rather than big chunks of bits and pieces, get them interested then drop your bait down to them.

I agree with you that you don't want to fill them with berley..

The berley I was using today was mainly bread mixed with some rabbit pellets, when added to salt water it went into watery slop and when introduced into the current was just enough to spark some interest.

I use chicken pellets but agree that it could be anything absorbent. I mix it with a little tuna oil and a tin of cheap cat food mashed up. I then freeze it into portions that will fit in any of my burley pots. The beauty of this is a) I always have some ready to go and B) as it thaws in the water it releases enough but slowly. If I am fishing for hairtail I use this and then also throw in some finely chopped pillies around my baits.

Hope this helps

Dave

Berly for the bottom feeders, but please dont berly for Kings. Yes it will bring a king over if in the area, but the problem is that people sit on a popular spot, could be a Marker or a wreck, and berly up. when this happens for days on end, you bring in the little jackets, squire, sweep etc. Hard worked for Squid then get pecked away.

I've seen it over and over again. Makes some spots un fishable

Baldy

,Hi guys, im not sure if I phrased the question right but I was wondering about the amount of berley. I understand what berley to use but im just not sure about how much I should put in. For example should I put in 50ml of bread and water mixture or more?? Thanks

I agree with MAKO the scent is the trick with limited solids , the quantity is up to the individual .I have 2 x 10kg chlorine buckets 1 with a heaps of 1/4" holes drilled all over it ,i find this size hole doesn't let too much solids out , i fill the bucket ( with no holes in it :soccer_h4h: ) with a 1/3 of each ingredient , plus a dash of tuna oil about 200mls , mix it all up and top it up with fresh water throw on the lid and chuck it in the chest freezer ( the one in the shed :chair: ) once frozen all you need to do is tap the side of the bucket pop out that yummy ice block and drop it in the bucket with the holes in it and toss it over the side , will last for a few hrs .So the ratio would be - tuna oil 200mls : 10ltr bucket of solids

1: chicken pellets

2: shredded stale bread

3: left over fish frames

cheers Mark