Challenging rock fishing!

Scratchie

Hey raiders,

Had a chance to get out for a couple of hours this arvo with a mate and was keen to get him his first luderick. Having had a bit of success on my first attempt at them, I thought we'd give the same spot a go. After the walk in, we were greeted by some really rough conditions and the spot I had planned to go was out of the question, so we moved to another to find some type of shelter and manageable swell. We finally found a spot but was then to our surprise we look up and see this!

post-24974-0-04106100-1371806075_thumb.jpg

So up against the elements, we started to wet a line using floats but with the swell chopping about it made for challenging work. After a fruitless half hour, we changed tact and started using small running sinkers and a 1/0 size hook, bread for bait. This was a great decision, as my mate finally hooked up and brought in a nice little blackie, which he was pretty pumped about!

post-24974-0-13458600-1371806380_thumb.jpg

Not to be outdone, I landed a nice one which went about 37cm and I just let him know that mine was a bit bigger!

The wind that was up around the 30km mark combined with the swell made it very difficult for us novices, but we did get a couple and I also picked up a silver drummer (I think) that went really hard and was also pretty hard to land with the conditions!

post-24974-0-91499600-1371806831_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-86456400-1371806954_thumb.jpg

At the end of the day, it was great to wet a line, get a mate onto his first luderick and learn a bit along the way! I will be definitely working that spot again when conditions are favorable!

Thanks for reading, tight lines to all.

Cheers scratchie!!!

post-24974-0-71416200-1371806606_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scratchie

Guest hawkesbass

Not bad scratchie defineately a silver drummer landed another way too fish no float for luderick is a paternoster rig as it keeps the bait off the bottom well done on getting your mate onto a fish in ordinary conditions

Not bad scratchie defineately a silver drummer landed another way too fish no float for luderick is a paternoster rig as it keeps the bait off the bottom well done on getting your mate onto a fish in ordinary conditions

Thanks trev, never thought of that rig. It's a great spot to fish. Might be a bit boring for a pro like you, you'd bag out in ten minutes!

But I'm definitely going to hit that spot again in favorable conditions!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Good work scratchie! Good call on changing to bread. Btw is that a waterspout?

Yes mate, the photo doesn't do it justice! It was massive. The weather up here ATM is crazy! So I was quite happy to get out for a few hours!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Yes mate, the photo doesn't do it justice! It was massive. The weather up here ATM is crazy! So I was quite happy to get out for a few hours!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Haha wow! I don't recall ever seeing a waterspout with my own eyes but what a sight that must have been! You definitely did well in such pressing conditions

Looks like a good spinning ledge

Yeah not bad, have heard of all sorts of things been caught there. Went there this arvo for 30mins. Brought home 2 blackies, threw back a silver drummer and got busted off twice on something that took more line than Lindsay lohan.

Can't wait to go back!

Cheers scratchie!!!