south coast rock fishing

matyg

went down to bawley point again on friday night for a sat morning session. weather was about as good as winter fishing gets, cold first up but sun came out, no wind and flat seas. To top it off there were seals playing in the break and kangaroos and wallabies to keep us company.

I had one great hook up early while my line was slack as i was fixing a wind knot then the fish found out it was hooked when i had fixed the tangle and wound in. unfortunately he must have been already back in his hole, tried to turn him around but 8lb braid doesn't like rocks for some reason.

we ended up with two nice groper and three drummer for the dinner table. one groper went about 50cm the others were all around the 38 to 45cm mark. water wasn't too cold and seemed to catch most of the fish where there was a bit of white water washing up on the rocks. caught a few wirrah that I threw back but was wondering what peoples opinions are of them on the chew.

post-19844-0-50497800-1373262382_thumb.jpg

Nice catch.

Wirrah are good eating fish, should give it a go.

Hmmmm, I think someone has been fooled into tasting the old boot cod before and is hoping that he will not be the only one hehehe. Don't do it if you know what is good for you.