Primer bulb

tasksta

Another day another boat question. :)

Should the primer bulb be before or after the water seperator filter? Does it matter? Should the bulb remain hard once primed with the engine off?

I have mine before the filter mounted vertically with arrow up. Im troubleshooting leaks as the bulb goes soft after a while even with the engine off. And yes its a genuine new primer bulb. :)

I guess if the bulb was after the filter, even if there was a small leak before it the bulb would remain hard?

Thanks in advance!

They reckon put it after the water seperator so you dont aerate the fuel and water so they told me when i had 2 new racors fitted but a bit of a pain to prime after draining seperator as you must fill them before getting fuel to primer

Hope it helps

Should the primer bulb be before or after the water seperator filter? Does it matter? Should the bulb remain hard once primed with the engine off?

I don't think the position makes a lot of difference but normally the bulb is after the filter.

As the name suggest it's there to prime or fill the fuel system manually. Once filled & the motor is running the pressure is released & the bulb becomes softer.

On a days outing , once the motor has been running then stopped for a short period , it should not be necessary to prime the system again.

If this is not the case , then one of the connections is "loose" & allowing air to be sucked into the system.

Geoff

Hi, after is better because the filter if replaced yearly will trap any junk that can damage a primer bulb. Do not skimp and use cheap bulbs-they will cause way to many problems with any outboard and best to have the arrow facing vertically up-they work a lot better in the vertical position.

Cheers,

Huey.