Setting the hook on a running fish

Howdoweplaythis

Hey everyone, recently, i've been trying to get bigger fish. I leave my rod there with the drag really soft and wait for a run. I've had a few good runs but haven't been able to convert any of them into hookups.

First few runs i picked up the rod and thumbed the drag and went to set but the fish had dropped the bait. Today i got two good runs. First time the line broke off and second time the fish put my rig into the rocks and snagged me straight after hooking up.

I'm using a running sinker rig with a ganged pillie. Any tips? How long should i let them run for? Is there a better rig?

Cheers

I recommend circle hooks mate. I chase reds and they always do the damage. I set my drag to about a third and let the fish run 2 or 3 seconds before slowly lifting the rod setting the hook. Trust me when the reel screams you instantly want to rip it up but you have to be patient lol. Cheers marto1976

Why would you let a fish run when using gangs?

Fish in gear & hit them straight away. Problem solved!

Cheers,

Grant.

Agree grant!

With a gang setup, keep drag setting fairly tight and get stuck into em!

Cheers scratchie!!!

My theory is if a fish is running there is only one place where a hook can be and that's in its mouth....hit it and hit it hard,then hit it again.

Edited by wher'd all the fish go

Why would you let a fish run when using gangs?

Fish in gear & hit them straight away. Problem solved!

Cheers,

Grant.

Haha i'm pretty new to this fishing business mate. I'm pretty self taught so i've been a good case of monkey see monkey do and making mistakes and learning. I had my heavier outfit stuck in the ground and was fishing using a smaller rod on the side. I didn't want it to feel the weight of the rig and drag in case i was fishing with the lighter rod and needed time to reel my smaller outfit in and get to the bigger outfit. Isnt there a risk that the fish will take the bait, feel resistance against the line and drop the bait? Or worse pull my rod over the side?

When SHOULD you fish with a light drag and let the fish run before striking?

Cheers

Fair enough mate.

Never let a fish run when using gangs or circle hooks. Just let the line pull tight & they

will usually hook themselves.

I missed so many jew when I used to let them run. If not using circles then now

I just drop the rod tip when I feel the bump, wait for it to pull tight & hit them hard.

You will miss so many more fish if you leave the rod in a rod holder or similar.

Try to hold your rod at all times. It can be hard, & you don't have to with circles,

but otherwise hold your rod!

Cheers,

Grant.

Fair enough mate.

Never let a fish run when using gangs or circle hooks. Just let the line pull tight & they

will usually hook themselves.

I missed so many jew when I used to let them run. If not using circles then now

I just drop the rod tip when I feel the bump, wait for it to pull tight & hit them hard.

You will miss so many more fish if you leave the rod in a rod holder or similar.

Try to hold your rod at all times. It can be hard, & you don't have to with circles,

but otherwise hold your rod!

Cheers,

Grant.

Good advice Grant. For jewfish I have hooked and caught the majority on strike drag not on light drag setting. Fish landbased with numerous rods using dead baits usually using rod stands on grassy banks always worry about rod going in the drink.If using live bait do you recommend the same method?.Any suggestions for avoiding rod going in the drink. Securing rod with rope not an option unless there is something commercially available. Regards Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Some good advice here. I have to admit I fish to rocks using ganged pilies under floats, and often have several rods out in rod holder. I am very consious of loosing my rod to the water, as I have seen it happen to a fellow fisherman once. I tend to leave the drag soft, and have to admit that I do loose about 50% of my hook ups if im not holding the rod during the strike. I guess if you can tether the rod, then you can fish with heavier drag? But i wiont risk the rods if theyre not tethered. Out of curiousity, why shouldnt you let a fish run if youre using gangs???