Botany Bay light gear

VBCB

A bit of fun down Botany bay on light tackle, plastics and little HB's.

post-30692-0-88159000-1374723960_thumb.jpg

Wasn't targeting anything in particular but lizards were on the chew, pulled 7 between 45 and 58 cm in about an hour and half, as well as a nice little 34 cm bream that went hard as usual, and quantities of just legal choppers after sunset, on poppers.

All 1.5 h before sunset, I found the bite to be quite hot for winter, everything went back in the water unharmed !

post-30692-0-12481600-1374723978_thumb.jpg post-30692-0-35659000-1374724027_thumb.jpg

Nice catch T.C, quality lizard :)

What kind of lure were you using if you don't mind me asking?

Not at all, but the list would be long :) I used a lot of different HB's trying to fing good colours and shapes, as per soft plastics, only used my all time fav' Reins bubbling shad watermelon 5.5", with a stinger on tail. That lure is not imported in Australia, it is quite a shame cause it really is a killer, got more big breams with this than with any other, not even talking about lizards that just cannot resist.

If you look the bream pic you'll see the jig head popping out the mouth, that fish swallowed a 5.5" whole, and that happens soooooooo often. This is not the only deadly lure of the brand, many are, including the rock vib' and others.

Nice fish mate! Those Rein's work better than Berkley gulps?

Don't you dare making such a comparison ! lol Kidding :). Berkley gulp, as much as fish don't let them go because of their taste are not the best swimmers, I personally stopped using them a while ago for this reason and also because they are being slaughtered by jackets and toadies here in Australia (only use them to catch live pikes for kings).

They still work well, and probably are the plastics that kill the largest number of fish every day around the globe, don't give me wrong but yeah mate no comparison possible really.

Now these REINS things also taste good for fish, I tried to wait and postpone my strike many times to see how much time it takes before flathead drops it and it actually never happens most of the time, if you're fishing light enough. With breams and trevors, you often see them taking it on a pose and see your line moving sidewise before even feeling anything in your rod.

Texture wise, they are the bomb, the slightest current even from the wind in a lake would make them move during a pose, which literally makes them efficient at any stage of the animation.

Can't tell how high I think of these things, that are not very expensive neither.

They are hard to get though, since they are not imported, I get them sent by post from my mates back home, you find them on ebay every now and then, if you select the "worldwide" search tool.

I just found them cheap from that site also, never personally dealt with them, pommy site I reckon http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Reins_Bubbling_Shad/descpage-RBBS.html

Don't you dare making such a comparison ! lol Kidding :). Berkley gulp, as much as fish don't let them go because of their taste are not the best swimmers, I personally stopped using them a while ago for this reason and also because they are being slaughtered by jackets and toadies here in Australia (only use them to catch live pikes for kings).

They still work well, and probably are the plastics that kill the largest number of fish every day around the globe, don't give me wrong but yeah mate no comparison possible really.

Now these REINS things also taste good for fish, I tried to wait and postpone my strike many times to see how much time it takes before flathead drops it and it actually never happens most of the time, if you're fishing light enough. With breams and trevors, you often see them taking it on a pose and see your line moving sidewise before even feeling anything in your rod.

Texture wise, they are the bomb, the slightest current even from the wind in a lake would make them move during a pose, which literally makes them efficient at any stage of the animation.

Can't tell how high I think of these things, that are not very expensive neither.

They are hard to get though, since they are not imported, I get them sent by post from my mates back home, you find them on online shop every now and then, if you select the "worldwide" search tool.

I just found them cheap from that site also, never personally dealt with them, pommy site I reckon http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Reins_Bubbling_Shad/descpage-RBBS.html

WOW, I think you have me hooked, I am ditching the Berkley's as soon as this shipment comes in. One other question, do you use jig hooks for these and if so where do you get yours from and what size. The reason I ask is because I bought a packet from Big W back when I got the Berkleys and they are weird when you put the plastics onto them because the hook sits funny.

Cheers,

Zac

Nice work TC and great info on the lures. I had a look at the ones you are using and they are almost identical to the Keitech plastics (more expensive but available locally) have you tried these two alongside each other? still shocked that the bigger plastics get lots of bream!

Yep, keitech are working alright, I have a few of them but I found that even they have a strong oily scent, fishes spit them out before u no it ! I still think they are very efficient lures and I didn't know you could buy them locally neither ! Good to know.

Zaki your jig heads are as important as your lures, plenty of good products available locally, I really fancy cultiva and decoy personally. Berkley jig heads are not acceptable shore based, except if they are Berkley "nitro". Even with nitro, be careful as a lot of them are quite oriented on snapper or boat fishing, with strong thick hooks that would make a strike almost impossible on 2 / 4 lb material. Some are still good for shore as well tho.