Spangled emporer in the hacking

mollers

Fished off a mates jetty at lilli pilli in port hacking last weekend and caught a 45cm spangled emporer. Was wondering if this is a rare catch as have recently moved over from Perth and had never heard of these getting caught in Sydney.

Edited by mollers

That's a beauty! Have caught a small big eye trevally about 10cm on a baitjig 3 years ago in the hacking. I think these warm water species come down in summer and get stuck. Even heard of jacks caught in the upper reaches of the hacko. Here's a cobe I got out of the hacking a couple years ago

post-11865-0-99114900-1375435923_thumb.jpg

Edited by Krispy !

5 or 6 years ago, I caught a spotted mackerel near the Lilli Pilli baths, also a teraglin many years ago, and some nannygai many years ago. The nannygai were bigger than any I have ever caught outside.

Just goes to show that anything is possible at times.

Now to catch a barra in the Hacking :074:

I would just like to get a bite in Port Hacking as it has been a long time since I have even thought about going there...bogey spot for me

I would just like to get a bite in Port Hacking as it has been a long time since I have even thought about going there...bogey spot for me

You need to get back there. Best waterway in Sydney!!

Also lets not forget the legend of the huge yellowfin tunas that have been captured inside the hacking.

There are fish in there at times, just have to know a few spots.

Have been fishing there for about 55 years (so I am a grumpy old f***er when the fish go quiet) and there are places I have not yet fished, but at present, the fish are quiet (and looking over the sand flats, not much to see lately)