NEED YOUR HELP TO CATCH LIVE YELLOWTAIL AND MULLET FOR BAIT

fishn

Hello to everyone on fishraider, this is my first post on the site, Im a newy to the fishing world and I was wondering where I can catch yellow tail and mullet for bait from land based spots around Sydney, also what gear and bait is recommended and what tide and time of day is best suited. It would be much appreciated for any help.

THANK YOU

hey mate,

You will get yakkas from most wharves around sydney. Dont worry too much about tide and time, just burley up with bread and tuna oil and that should get them going. Easiest is to get yourself a sabiki bait jig (size 10 is what i use) and put tiny bits of prawn/bread/pillies on each hook. You can also use a small single suicide hook around the same size.

If you let us know more specific areas you will be fishing i'm sure you will get some good spots closer to you.

I usually fish around San Souci area near Captain Cooks Bridge, Ive tried a couple times on the jetty their with no luck. I wanted to catch some live bait so I can try my luck with some jewfish fishing.

I agree with don sort of.

I find they do bite best at the top of the tide. You can seem to catch them on just the live bait jig alone with no bait ( Sabiki jig ^) at the top of the tide. But this is a pain cuz this is when you want to be catching the real fish using the livies. But as don said around any structure, Try a few places and you will find some places and then they will regularly be there. i use layer pellets ( Chook pellets ) soaked in tuna oil for burley, And as don said add a tiny peice of bait to the jig hook if there not playing the game. first light is also a good time. Sometimes if you are too early they are still sleeping i find.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Guest Aussie007

for mullet a nice sunny day works best float a live bait trap out on top of the water with some bread inside the trap, chuck some bread around the trap to get the poddy mullet into a feeding frenzie than just simply pull the trap in when u see flashing inside the trap this is the poddys trying to get out

if u use this method only take what u need as u can easily over fish and try not to let other people see this style of fishing in fear they'll do the same thing and take everything they catch, its happen to me before and people cleaned out the whole spot of hundreds if not thousands of poddys

also a good tip is to neil down while your burleying for poddys if they can see u on the shore they wont come in close