jigging

jawno

When people say "work your plastic/lure slowly", what exactly do they mean?

Long pauses? Slow, smooth jig action? Combination of both?

Watching a show on youtube, was a bream competition, and they where working their plastics seemingly fast with little to no pauses and constantly working the lures. Thought the pause was an important part in hook up rates?

Thanks,

This is actually a good question. Ive always tried with sp and stick baits, but ALWAYS get bored and quit. I dont see enough result so clearly im doing something wrong (or am just very unlucky, which is likely). The only luck ive had are a few small flatties.... And I found that all the hook ups were when the sp was in motion. So how do you you work it, and where in the water column. Im with Jawno, HELP!?!?!? :15:

If targeting flathead, something like a 3 inch lure with a relatively heavy jighead (1/8 - 3/8th) will do. Any lure and jighead will do so long as the lure can keep in contact with the bottom. A heavier and larger jig will make it easier to work. Next simply choose a style of jigging that you prefer i.e. one big whip, two hops etc, and stick with it. Just look on youtube for several examples and copy that one. Then just put it in practice - get a long cast out and wait till the lure hits the bottom. Once that slack in the line appears you know your lure is stationary on the bottom. Simply employ your favoured jigging technique and let the lure hit the bottom again and repeat this until the lure gets all the way back to you. If you are unsure whether the lure has hit the bottom or not, just wait a bit longer than you think is required. Something like a 1/4oz may take about a 5 count after a double hop to hit the bottom. Eventually you'll detect a bite. If it's a flathead, take your time - fix your hair, make small chat with the guy next to u etc., and then proceed to strike hard to set that hook into its bony mouth. Actually it would be good practice to strike hard immediately to get your eye in for other species which aren't so forgiving. If no bite is detected, not to worry, you will simply hook into her as you begin to jig the lure off the bottom again. If you are already doing all this, then maybe the flathead simply aren't around nor on the bite. Good luck.

Edited by nbdshroom

If targeting flathead, something like a 3 inch lure with a relatively heavy jighead (1/8 - 3/8th) will do. Any lure and jighead will do so long as the lure can keep in contact with the bottom. A heavier and larger jig will make it easier to work. Next simply choose a style of jigging that you prefer i.e. one big whip, two hops etc, and stick with it. Just look on youtube for several examples and copy that one. Then just put it in practice - get a long cast out and wait till the lure hits the bottom. Once that slack in the line appears you know your lure is stationary on the bottom. Simply employ your favoured jigging technique and let the lure hit the bottom again and repeat this until the lure gets all the way back to you. If you are unsure whether the lure has hit the bottom or not, just wait a bit longer than you think is required. Something like a 1/4oz may take about a 5 count after a double hop to hit the bottom. Eventually you'll detect a bite. If it's a flathead, take your time - fix your hair, make small chat with the guy next to u etc., and then proceed to strike hard to set that hook into its bony mouth. Actually it would be good practice to strike hard immediately to get your eye in for other species which aren't so forgiving. If no bite is detected, not to worry, you will simply hook into her as you begin to jig the lure off the bottom again. If you are already doing all this, then maybe the flathead simply aren't around nor on the bite. Good luck.

Thats some useful info.I think my main problem is keeping the damn thing on the bottom. I tend to find it more towards the surface as it gets closer (which is of course inevitable) but i think this is a trend all the way through. Ill take your logical words about weight and apply them, even if i have to learn by dredging the ocean with the heaviest I can find!!!!! Hahahaha, cheers though

I use a 1/8 with nuclear chicken by Gulp, The flathead really love it. I will normally wait till it hits the bottom then give three flicks up, not too hard as I like to keep it close the bottom. I then wind in the slack, when it hits the bottom again I repeat.

Lot's of really good YouTube videos on this, watched a few the other night

Haven't done much luring for bream though sorry.

So for flatties, is the pause important or not? I understand that flatties will most of the time wait till something moves in front of their mouth and strike, but if u leave it on bottom will they creep to ur plastic to strike?

Mate, dont get stuck into thinking there is only one retrieve for bream, or flatties for that matter.

Some days dead sticking works well, where you pretty much cast and leave it there for 10 seconds or longer. Other days, nothing but small hops work well.

Just need to find out what they like on the day and stick with that. Some people do sessions only trying 1 or 2 methods to see if they work. Other people try a whole host of different methods and lures on the day. Experiment and have fun with it.

One of the most important things is to have confidence in your lure and treat every cast like its your first. Pay attention to what you are doing and your surroundings. You will soon crack the code.

Pete raised some good points above, he has experimented till something worked for him which is exactly what im saying here.

Also, if your fishing with a few mates, make sure everyone has a different lure on, covering different columns of the water. You will figure out what works more often and dont bring bait with you lol. the tempation to use it will kick in very quickly if you arent having luck!

Good luck mate

Ill take note. I usually wont do just the same retrieve and try to mix it up as much as possible.

Other day i went in search of flatties at Narra Lakes. Cast into a little channel with a grubz with 2g jig head, started to wind in the slack, went to jig... naw dang, snagged on some weed, skull dragging the weed over, feel a head shake then gone. Damn it. Felt no bite as what ever it was snapped it up on the drop after casting. This was after some very persistent fishing and was the first bite i got in 2 hrs haha. Next time i feel something heavy, even if it is weed gonna yank the crap out of it.

There was a deep hole as well with some solid whiting in there. Looked at least 30-40cm. Tried to temp them but only toadies had a go. Might get some worms and see if they will have a go. Whitting go for gulp worms?

Thanks,

I haven't caught anything on a gulp worm yet - not saying they dont work just struggling with hook placement I think ..

Might be worth a try but I've used the Gulp sandworm nereis and caught fish without a jighead simply by threading the worm straight onto a small long shanked hook. I don't believe it is important where the hook comes out on the worm since they are mostly circular so long as the worm sits straight and not kinked where the hook emerges. If the worm is too long, then trimming it down is usually a better prospect e.g., from 6" to 3-4".

Regarding the earlier posts, Stan has caught many a fish on all types of lures and one can't go wrong following some of his tips. Yellowfin bream record holder ;)

Edited by nbdshroom