Botany Bay adventure 11-08-2013

rigga

Gday raiders, hope everyone is well!

Went out for a fish Sunday morning at botany bay, on a friends boat from the football team. Got to the boat ramp by 7am, armed with prawns and whitebait and softplastics as our bait, all which were all successfull!

Anchored up at first spot, as it was very windy weather in the morning making fishing that much bit harder. got the burly going, and first catch of the morning turns out to be an octopus caught on my handline taking a whitebait. First cast on the soft plastic, mate lands a healthy 42cm flathead. With the next hour or so roughly, we land multiple baby flatheads anywhere from 25cm-35cm mark, tailor and juvenile snapper. shortly after one of the boys manages to catch a 33cm tailor which made awesome jumps in the water! and a flounder was also caught measuring in at 30 cm.

We finally caught something, very big. call was either a decent flathead or a shark. after a solid 4 minutes of fighting it was that brown colour we all love to see of a flathead, i should of went to specsavers as it was a stupid, shark ray thing.

started to drift as the wind died down and the weather was beautiful, first cast on the SP a nice 43cm flathead. seconds later 3 way hook up on baby flathead. continuing on from this drift we managed a 30cm whiting and one squid taking chunks out of my white bait, quickly got out a squid jig as we could see 3-4 squids behind. only managed to hook one!

All in all great day, for winter season and being with great mates. thanks Manny, Vic & Rob

post-22393-0-02379300-1376379238_thumb.jpg

post-22393-0-43430000-1376379356_thumb.jpg

post-22393-0-73881700-1376379509_thumb.jpg

post-22393-0-91207700-1376379663_thumb.jpg

post-22393-0-76748600-1376379811_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a great day out and a nice mixed bag as a result.

Banjo sharks are good eating, this topic can be controversial but only when people haven't tried them. You fillet them like a flathead and eat the tail. It is then flake. We mixed some banjo fillets up with gummy fillets and there was absolutely no difference in taste of texture. The only problem is there is so much waste on a banjo so I prefer to let them go unless its the only catch of the day.

I dunno about good fighting, unless NSW banjos fight much harder then Victorian ones as they always felt like a big piece of weed for me.

Thanks for the id of the fish, ive never tried it so i cant comment on that part :) was only caught on 8lb line so had a good little few runs, then was a typical ray trying to get it off the surface! i think you can tell in the video we were more then happy to let the bugger go! :)