Baitrunner?

krause

Hi guys, I know that if I post one more question some one is going to kill me, but I will anyway :whistling:

I have been captured by the idea of owning a baitrunner for some time, and a store near me has a sale on at the moment. They are offering the Shimano Baitrunner OC's (4000 and 6000) for 150 bucks, paired with a System 'S' snapper rod. THoughts? I know that the reel itself normally retails for around 170, but paired with the rod (assuming its good) i think this is an ok deal. So two questions i guess. One, is a baitrunner worth it, I fish from the rocks and will be live baiting for kings and smaller tuna in summer. And the second being on the products. Does anyone have an opinion on the OC's? or the System 'S' rod.

I would appriciate any opinions, negative or positive!

Cheers!!

Sounds like a good deal. I bought a similar combo 12 months ago but with the B series baitrunner and a shimano rod for 160.

I sold the used reel last week for 150 and kept the rod, simply you cant go wrong with Shimano!

P.S i sold it for a stradic as i never used the BR function and was terrible with braid, OC version is deigned for braid i think though?

Sounds like a good deal. I bought a similar combo 12 months ago but with the B series baitrunner and a shimano rod for 160.

I sold the used reel last week for 150 and kept the rod, simply you cant go wrong with Shimano!

P.S i sold it for a stradic as i never used the BR function and was terrible with braid, OC version is deigned for braid i think though?

...I hope its suited for braid, thats all i use these days, dont think i could go back to the twisted balls of mono.....

I run 4 shimmano bait runners. Grab it. It's a good deal. Do you do much live baiting?

To be honest I dont at the moment, but i really plan on it in the summer. Theres just nothing taking them at the moment so im not botheringg.

Cheers for all the info though, and if anyone knows if the OC's are suited for braid that would be awesome! cheers boys!

I was at the local shop yesterday asking about baitrunners. Asked the guy about the Shimano D series and he advised to go with the OC. Said it was built better and better value for money.

Cheers 

Matt

thats interesting I was told the other way around. My local tackle shop held onto the last of 6500 b series and said tvey were the best and strongest ive heard oc, s eries arent as good. But each to their own! I love my 6500b best reel , never failed me caught my ob metre plus jewie on it no troubles:rolleyes:

Tight lines!, Shakeel

Yer, im really concidering the OC. They ARE designed for braid, which is good to know. So i think I am defiantely going to purchase one, then let it sit there for a month untill i can afford to put the braid on it :clapping:

thats interesting I was told the other way around. My local tackle shop held onto the last of 6500 b series and said tvey were the best and strongest ive heard oc, s eries arent as good. But each to their own! I love my 6500b best reel , never failed me caught my ob metre plus jewie on it no troubles:rolleyes:

Tight lines!, Shakeel

To my understanding, the OC's are the replacements for the B series, and hence are that little bit more tweeked with the more modern specs. The d series is the bigger and better version. It has a better carbon based drag system and a stronger spool arm. But thats pretty much it. So the OC is equivelent or there abouts to the B's, and a cheaper version of the d's, but with out sacrificing to much... i think?

D version is an official lemon, very high failure rate admitted by Shimano. Hence the OC update.

B series was a classic and one of the toughest reels around forvthe money.

Yep, I didn't want to say it. The shop I went too said the guy he sold it to brings it back every couple of weeks to get replaced/fixed as every time he lands a big fish the reel falls to shit

• 2 months later...

You cant beat the B series mate, they were on special a few months back in a few select sydney tackle shops. We bought every one we could find. We have 6 of them, regulary use 4 of them, and the other 2 are brand new in their box's waiting for the day something happens to the ones we use on a weekly basis. I also heard they have stopped making the D series if my info is correct............

Dan