90hp mercury hard to start

tiles

Yeah it runs perfect after its warmed up . If im out on the water and restart it after an hour or 2 it will run and idle perfectly as well so it just seems the initial start up.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Was talking to a mate last night about the dramers we both have been having he had similar problems his was the oil injection,

after a few days of the boat sitting there after being used the oil still in the line was slowly passing thru some little valve filling carbies with oil until the presure had droped

he recon it was a %%%%% to start it would blow plenty of smoke when it did go then clear up and run fine for the rest of the day

Maybe worth looking at Gary mix up a jerry can of fuel disconnect oil injection hook hose direct and see how she goes

Hmmm could be ..it does blow a bit of smoke when it starts . Im not all that concerned about it as i can start it easy enough if I stick to my starting procedure and it runs fine after that but would be nice to have it working perfect. I do have to replace the low speed thermostat (I think its called that ) as I get alarm warning if I idle to long so I wonder if that would have any bearing on start up as well.

I just keep doing all the easy bits and pieces and see if I can get any improvement. I do appreciate all the tips im getting as well.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Edited by GaryO

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering what would be considered as good compression for my Mariner 50 2 stroke?.

Ive tested my engine and have 125 psi across all 3 cylinders. I couldnt find an actual recommended amount in the manual.

Thanks

I did it cold Dunc.. ive always been under the impression that a cold and dry compression test is more accurate in determining the actual condition of the engine. I will how ever do it warm and check the results in which id imagine would be a higher reading.

Edited by GaryO

Hi, you have had the wrong impression, best to do it warm and the BEST test for the internal condition of any engine is a leak down test, but I highly doubt you would have the gear to do that. All gauges read differently and you will not find specs of what the compression should be due to that reason. As long as they are all even (within 10%) that is the most important thing and your engine is.

This topic is confusing because it mentions a 90HP in the heading but you are asking about a 50HP. To start a 50HP or 90HP Merc of your vintage you really do not want to raise the cold start lever until the engine is running, because by doing this you introduce more air and it will cancel the effect of choking (that is adding more fuel) and they will be hard to start. Once set-up right and started right these engine run and start well.

Cheers,

Huey.

I guess I just have the same starting issues as the OP with the 90hp and rather then start a new thread for each question it sort of got continued on here.lol

I understand what u are saying about a leak down test but I was just chasing a basic result which would show if there were any major anomalies .

Hi, still confusing because a 50HP Mariner, not sure even what year you have, can have a totally different fuel induction system to a 2003 model 90HP Mercury, but as I said would not mind betting it is operator error and I sure hope you are not raising the cold start lever and choking at the same time. Why no plan on using the boat at the Hawkesbury one day and swing by with the boat and we can see how easy it is to start.

Cheers,

Huey.